Old Car Squeak

well recently i have been noticing the classic old car squeak. i always hear these older cars that squeak and always hope that my 94 es300 wouldnt, and now it is starting. is there anyways to get rid of this squeak!!!

well recently i have been noticing the classic old car squeak. i always hear these older cars that squeak and always hope that my 94 es300 wouldnt, and now it is starting. is there anyways to get rid of this squeak!!!

It might help if you could narrow it down a bit as to where the squeak is coming from: the suspension - front or rear, under the hood, the doors, the exhaust system, inside the dashboard, none of the above, all of the above?

Is it the typical fan belt squeal/squeak?

I hate that fan belt squealing/squeaking noise! I had it on my old car (chevy cavalier) and it would NOT GO AWAY!

Even after replacing the belt it was noisy again a month later! wtf.gif

Thankfully, my ES is as quiet as a mouse.....a mouse with laryngitis! :P

Ah... yeah, it sounds like a drive belt (under the hood) squeal. This is usually because a belt gets just loose enough to slip a little bit, then the heat from the slippage causes the sides of the belt to glaze over, making it squeal even more loud. The fix is to get a new drive belt (either power steering or alternator... not sure the routing on the ES) and make sure there is proper tension on it. That should cure your problem.

Ah, Lexucan, you had a Cavalier, eh? If it was of the build quality I've seen in other Cavaliers, then the bearing was probably wearing out so fast in the alternator that the belt kept loosening up :D The last time I drove a Cavalier was up in Toronto when I went to my buddy's wedding... it was brand new and still had so many squeaks and squeals that I wasn't sure if it was going to get me all the way down the QEW!!

I agree, it sounds like a drive belt is most likely the problem and once replaced will be an end to your squeal.

Ah, Lexucan, you had a Cavalier, eh? If it was of the build quality I've seen in other Cavaliers, then the bearing was probably wearing out so fast in the alternator that the belt kept loosening up :D The last time I drove a Cavalier was up in Toronto when I went to my buddy's wedding... it was brand new and still had so many squeaks and squeals that I wasn't sure if it was going to get me all the way down the QEW!!

Yep, you're taking your sanity (if not your life) in your hands when driving one of those chevy tin cans on wheels! LOL In addition to the constant squealing that always announced my arrival wherever I went (quite embarrassing at times!), the check engine light had a bad habit of coming on intermittently and for no apparent reason. It also leaked like the proverbal sieve and during our usually rainy winters, I would find a lake under my feet when I got into it to go to work in the mornings. I kept a large sponge under my seat to try to soak up the worst of it.

So to Tyler121, consider yourself lucky that a little squeal under your hood is the only problem you have. The ES is a great car and I'm sure you'll have it running smooth and silent again in no time.