Help With Sport Suspension

craigtaz

Although I love a good sports car, I bought our week old '04 LS for the wife, and she just wanted a comfortable luxury car. When I came across our LS, I was a little hesitant since it had the sport suspension. We looked at the car anyway, and of course test drove it. It was indeed a more firm ride than a non-sport model, but it was livable, especially for the price that we paid.

Today I was going over the entire car, and found that the seller underinflated the front tires by 10 psi, and the rear's by 5. :censored:

I pumped up all four tires to the recommended 33 psi. The car now rides incredibly stiff. So much so, that my wife now says she doesn't want the car.

I'm now faced with the decision of either somehow softening the ride, or trying to sell it and look for another model. We both really like the car except for the ride.

Is it possible to soften the ride of this car without dishing out tons of $$? If so, where would I start? Thanks.

Craig

The first place I would start is the wheels and tires. I assume it has the 18" wheels since most sport suspended models had them? I'd swap them out for a set of LS430 17s and good smooth touring tires like Michelin MXV4+ or Bridgestone LS-Vs and see what that does.

The first place I would start is the wheels and tires. I assume it has the 18" wheels since most sport suspended models had them? I'd swap them out for a set of LS430 17s and good smooth touring tires like Michelin MXV4+ or Bridgestone LS-Vs and see what that does.

Thanks Steve. That's probably a real good place to start, since the increased tire pressure made the ride go from ok to unbearable.

I called the service manager at my local Lexus dealer today (Longo - the largest in the nation), and posed the same question. He was of little help. He said the sport package includes air suspension, and that there was nothing I could do as far as shocks or struts were concerned. He said to try a softer compound tire. I know I'm new to Lexus, but I thought only the Ultra came with air suspension...:huh:

Geez I didnt realize the sport suspension was that bad. Least the Lex dont come with sport seats too. Thatd be killer on your back! One of the guys on my Bimmer board bought a 2001 sport and ended up hating the sports package and went back to his '97 (I think the 2001 died in a flood though :cries: ). Id try the softer wheels and tires and see how that helps. I bet youd love that sport suspension if you took the car arond in those CA mountains! : ). Just curious.. what do you drive?