Oem And Misc. Questions

ccb

Hi! As you can tell by the number of posts I have here, I am new so... would someone please tell me what OEM means? Also, I have asked this before but will ask again. I took my husband's Dodge to the repair shop a couple of days ago and asked if they worked on Lexus cars since I will be needing to do the 30,000 thing soon. They recommend changing the oil in it every 3,000 miles although the reply I got here and have read in posts says different. I just want to make sure I do all I can to take care of this vehicle since I'm sure I will have it for quite some time.

On the subject of oil, what is dino oil? As much as I would like to change this myself, this is somethng I have never done and my husband just doesn't do anything auto related. Going by messages I've read on this forum, it sounds like some things can be done at home if I can get him to do it.

Again, thanks so much for your help and/or suggestions in advance.

Cindy

Hi! As you can tell by the number of posts I have here, I am new so... would someone please tell me what OEM means? Also, I have asked this before but will ask again. I took my husband's Dodge to the repair shop a couple of days ago and asked if they worked on Lexus cars since I will be needing to do the 30,000 thing soon. They recommend changing the oil in it every 3,000 miles although the reply I got here and have read in posts says different. I just want to make sure I do all I can to take care of this vehicle since I'm sure I will have it for quite some time.

On the subject of oil, what is dino oil? As much as I would like to change this myself, this is somethng I have never done and my husband just doesn't do anything auto related. Going by messages I've read on this forum, it sounds like some things can be done at home if I can get him to do it.

Again, thanks so much for your help and/or suggestions in advance.

Cindy

Ok, hope this helps. OEM is short for original equipment manufacturer. Dino oil is conventional petroleum based oil or mineral oil. There is dino oil and synthetic oil. There are good private garages out there if you can find them or you can go to a Toyota dealer. Many or perhaps most will work on Lexus since they are Toyota and the real benefit is that they are always cheaper than a Lexus dealer. You can trust them too because they have the knowledge base needed. Good luck!

well, to my knowledge, lexus has never recommended 3000 intervals for service. its usually 5000 for "off roading" vehicles, and 7500 intervals for regular use. I go for 5000 intervals and i go to my lexus dealership. However, I would bring it to a toyota dealership since its the same thing and cheaper. you dont get the famous lexus treatment though...

As others have stated, "dino oil" is a joking reference to conventional engine oil formed from our long dead dinosaur relatives. It is different and cheaper than synthetic engine oil. Any good shop can change your oil, rotate your tires and do the other things that are called for in the 30,000 mile check up. IF you or your husband care to, you CAN do the engine oil change yourself, using whatever interval you want to. Personally, I use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic engine oil in my Lexus, changed at the recommended 5000 mile interval. My older car gets conventional "dino oil" (see how it is used? ;) ) changed at 3000 mile intervals. You can safely change dino oil at 5000 mile intervals, imho, but I don't do it.

Since you are going to keep this car a while, don't forget that there is a cabin air filter behind the glove box. I cleaned mine out and it had a fair amount of small grass clippings and such. If you look at my post here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;hl=glove+box

it will show you how easy this is. Don't forget the standard air filter under the hood. Again, VERY easy to change and I would bet that Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone folks will help you the first time.

Gary

CCB - Here is a very good website for a lot of "basics" and some not so "basic" maintenance projects for your car. Certainly the cabin air filter you can do. It doesn't sound like you're ready to change your own oil so let somebody else do it. This site will at least show you whats involved and probably answer some questions for you. http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/index.html