Purchase An Sc300 To Mod

Mi-foodie

:huh:

I am thinking about purchasing an SC300 to mod. I like the style and want something that will do a 0-60 in 4.5 or less.

Is there a preferred year? I have seen early SC300 for as low as $ 5 K and with very high miles. I would think that if all other running is OK I would get the engine rebuilt and modify the suspension, brakes, etc. and have a nice car.

Or am I better off with a newer lower mileage car but higher initial price? What is your opinion?

How much do I need to add to get the performance? I am looking for the best 'value'.

Well it's a tough call. I have a 95 SC300 with 235k. I'm thinking of tuning it to produce 600bhp.

I'm expecting to spend $10-15k very easily, but with a new SC you won't be able to modify it without losing the warranty, and they're only available in the convertible V8.

Since you're looking for a 4 sec car expect to spend more because you're producing close to 1000bhp, which would make your car illegal in all states.

Any car you want to modify you should look for a capable shop/mechanic since you don't have money to blow.

I'd suggest researching good shops that can do the work for you or where you can buy parts from.

In the meantime check out our MOds thread(Pinned in the SC300/400 Forum), and work from there.

Good luck with whatever you do and let us know how it turns out.

• 5 months later...
Well it's a tough call. I have a 95 SC300 with 235k. I'm thinking of tuning it to produce 600bhp.

I'm expecting to spend $10-15k very easily, but with a new SC you won't be able to modify it without losing the warranty, and they're only available in the convertible V8.

Since you're looking for a 4 sec car expect to spend more because you're producing close to 1000bhp, which would make your car illegal in all states.

Any car you want to modify you should look for a capable shop/mechanic since you don't have money to blow.

I'd suggest researching good shops that can do the work for you or where you can buy parts from.

In the meantime check out our MOds thread(Pinned in the SC300/400 Forum), and work from there.

Good luck with whatever you do and let us know how it turns out.

I know this is an old thread but WHAT?? You can produce 1000whp and still be legal in a lot of states......I know 100% in Texas. Also, I don't know why it would cost you 15k. If you are going for 600whp you can do that on the stock 2jz-ge with a turbo setup but I'd get the getrag transmission. I few little things like 2jz-get pistons and a thicker head gasket and you could be almost at 1000whp. This is also with a damn good tune. I've seen upwards of 800whp done on stock everything.

This is considering we are talking about the 2jz-ge sc300.....