Check Engine Light

malcam

i have a 2000 es 300 with 133k, i went to toyota , paid $85 and they said i need to replace the charcoal cannister. i bought the part and had it installed by a local mechanic to save a few $. about 300 miles the lights came back. i went to autozone and the code is now P0440.

I need your thoughts on whats the next step.

Thanks

Cam

P0440 indicates Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction. This means that either your gas cap is not tightened properly, the gas cap gasket is cracked or damaged, vacuum hose is damaged, or charcoal canister is cracked or damaged. I would bet that your mechanic did not install the charcoal canister correctly, hence causing the check engine light to come up. To play it safe, I'd pony up some extra $$$ and bring the car to the dealership (be it Toyota or Lexus) to get any emissions-related service work done. Routine maintenance stuff like tire rotation, wheel alignment and fluid changes are better left for the average grease monkey.