Master Brake Cylinder

gp1200x

My 1999 RX300 feels like the master cylinder is failing. I will replace my pads and flush my system, using DOT 4 synthetic, but I think the master cylinder may need to be replaced. ( RX has 110,000 miles) If I come to a light and press on the pedal it will eventually go to the floor if I hold it down with my foot moderately. I would think that I would need a lot of air in the line for this to happen which is probably not the case.

Problem is...who sells the master cylinder other than the dealers??? I can't find one anywhere. I believe I have traction assist (AWD too) but will verify again.

I use Akebono pads, tried many types, but I have never been happy with the braking power of the RX. It is definitely the worst of the four cars and SUVs that we own and I have tried different pads and rotors without much success. My Tribute brakes put my RX to shame which is somewhat of a shock considering my Tribute (really a FORD!) has rear drums too....but it's braking power is far superior, esp. when pulling two jet skis.