Black Smoke Out Of Exhaust And Squeaking

sv7887

Hi Everyone,

So I got the car back from the dealer. They replaced the main 02 sensors, air filter and gave it back to me. I've noticed the gas mileage has gotten worse (Normally get around 20 mpg mixed city/hwy driving) Now I'm getting 16 MPG if that. I've filled the tank 10 gallons each time and gotten only 163 miles range out of it. You can almost watch the needle move..It didn't do that before. Car is a 1992 at 101K miles.

An additional symptom: If the car sits for a day or two, it spews black smoke when you start it with a strong smell of gas. That smoke dissipates within a few minutes and it runs fine.

The only other thing: When I'm moving in traffic you can hear a constant "Squeak Squeak Squeak" noise as the car moves slowly. Are my wheel bearings on the way out? Or is it something less sinister?

I have to say though, since I got my new Turanzas put on the car it drives like a dream. A real pleasure. My dad likes it even more than his new S430. I tell you, these cars are something special. I've sat in other cars, but nothing has the built to last feel of this car. I get initially really mad when things break, but I realize that it's an old car and it is to be expected. Besides, I love it, so it is money well spent. Everytime I try to sell or trade it, I back out..I just don't have the heart to do it! :lol:

One last question: Anyone know a good independent mechanic in the Boston area? My Lexus dealer hasn't been that good. I called them about the above issues and no one returns my phone calls. You'd think they'd treat me better after 12 yrs of going there. I guess they couldn't be bothered with an old car.

Thanks guys for all your help!

Sam