Help! Both Accumulators In The Front Suspension Bad

stingrayy

I have a 2000 LX470. The front suspension is riding very roughly. I have taken the vehicle to a Lexus dealer and was told both of the accumulators in the front suspension are bad and need to be replaced. Now I have heard from many sources that it is more common for the height suspension sensors to go bad. But the dealer's technician have checked the sensors and found both front sensors to be properly functioning.

The parts and labor is about $2,000. I am in the Detroit, Michigan area.

1. Besides the dealers, does anyone know of a reputable Lexus repair shop in the Detroit area?

2. Is there a discount Lexus OEM parts website or resellers out there?

3. Anyone encountered the same problem with the front accumulators? I was told by the dealer tech that the two accumulators in the back suspension are on their way out as well.

You can perform a simple test. Put the AHC in low and check the level in the AHC fluid resevoir. Now put the AHC in high and check the level again. There should be at least a 7 gradation difference. If less, the accumulators are shot. From the symptoms you describe, they sound shot. Did you or anyone who worked on the car by any chance put something other than AHC fluid in there (like brake fluid?). That will dissolve the membranes in the nitrogen sphere. The spheres (one at each wheel) is filled w/ nitrogen and has a membrane that separates the nitrogen from AHC fluid. If the membrane breaks/leaks, the sphere fills w/ fluid, and all damping ability is lost. The only cases I've heard of failure (several) are all from someone (even toyota mechnics, as they are unfamiliar w/ AHC) putting the wrong fluid in the AHC resevoir. I've even heard of mechanics putting wiper fluid in there, thinking it was the wiper resevoir. It takes time for the foreign fluid to migrate down to the accumulators (spheres), so one might not know for months. One guy on the LC board bought 4 spheres from a junk yard for $150 each. Installation is simple.

:D I can recharge thenm for you if the bladders are not ruptured (unlikely) Drop me an email (kebowers47@hotmail.com) . I have been doing this for many years for other makes and nearly a year for the LX-470 owners. Cost is 25% of Dealer parts price. Have DIY instructions also its REAL simple and easy to do

You can perform a simple test. Put the AHC in low and check the level in the AHC fluid resevoir. Now put the AHC in high and check the level again. There should be at least a 7 gradation difference. If less, the accumulators are shot. From the symptoms you describe, they sound shot. Did you or anyone who worked on the car by any chance put something other than AHC fluid in there (like brake fluid?). That will dissolve the membranes in the nitrogen sphere. The spheres (one at each wheel) is filled w/ nitrogen and has a membrane that separates the nitrogen from AHC fluid. If the membrane breaks/leaks, the sphere fills w/ fluid, and all damping ability is lost. The only cases I've heard of failure (several) are all from someone (even toyota mechnics, as they are unfamiliar w/ AHC) putting the wrong fluid in the AHC resevoir. I've even heard of mechanics putting wiper fluid in there, thinking it was the wiper resevoir. It takes time for the foreign fluid to migrate down to the accumulators (spheres), so one might not know for months. One guy on the LC board bought 4 spheres from a junk yard for $150 each. Installation is simple.

What do you mean 7 gradation difference? Where can I see this? Are there measurement lines on the reservoir besides the min and max lines?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new member and glad I've found this forum.

I had been noticing my suspension being rigid for a couple months and took it in for a 120k service. I was told that my AHC system was totaled due to a non ACH fluid and it was even over-filled. Thier estimate was $10k, ouch!

How long does it take for the spehers to go bad once the wrong fluid has been introduced? I had it last serviced in June and even had them check the AHC last Dec.

And no I've never taken it to Jiffy lube, I shutter at the thought.

Not sure how long it takes to go bad once the wrong fluid is replaced other than it takes some time for the fluid in the resevoir to make its way down to the accumulator spheres. It would, of course, depend on how often you raise/lower the suspension. I lower mine every time I pull into the garage, so the system gets some exercise. Like anything mechical, it's good to occasionally use it. The symptoms of a rough ride (like no damping) sound consistent w/ bad spheres. The membrane dissolves due to the wrong fluid and the nitrogen behind the membrane leaks out, so the entire sphere gets filled with fluid. Hence, no damping.

Yes, there are gradations on the AHC resevoir between max and min, at least on my '03. One is supposed to flush the AHC fluid every 60K miles. I had mine done back in June, will probably do it every couple of years due to the heat here in AZ. I think the AHC fluid absorbs moisture just like brake fluid.

I've used the AHC occasionally. Definetly a couple times after my last July service.

The dealer has come back and said they would split the cost. My part would be the parts due to wear and tear. According to them my portion is the accumulators ($7K). That seems pretty steep.

Their reasoning is the system had deteriorated (I had them check the system back in Dec). I'm still skeptical of this.

• 2 months later...

If your Lexus LX-470 is now doing the 'bouncy-bouncy' and riding like it ain't got any give to the suspension--you got flat accumulators! You gotta be sitting down when you hear what the Dealer wants to fix it.

I can now offer NEW replacement accumulators for $350 each. :cheers:

I had a quality manufacturer make them to my specifications( improved over OEM.) Simple to install in your driveway (1 hr/all 4)--and they can be recharged when eventually needed for $100 each.

I can also take your old ones and modify and recharge them for $175 each. If they are leaking and won't hold the charge, either my new ones :D or the Stealers. :pirate:

'TexasOil'

Kebowers47@gmail.com

B and B Suspension

832-651-7576

• 7 months later...
If your Lexus LX-470 is now doing the 'bouncy-bouncy' and riding like it ain't got any give to the suspension--you got flat accumulators! You gotta be sitting down when you hear what the Dealer wants to fix it.

I can now offer NEW replacement accumulators for $350 each.:cheers:

I had a quality manufacturer make them to my specifications( improved over OEM.) Simple to install in your driveway (1 hr/all 4)--and they can be recharged when eventually needed for $100 each.

I can also take your old ones and modify and recharge them for $175 each. If they are leaking and won't hold the charge, either my new ones :D or the Stealers. :pirate:

'TexasOil'

Kebowers47@gmail.com

B and B Suspension

832-651-7576

I have a 2001 LX470 and I'm glad I found this forum. I was getting the bouncy ride and the height control would raise or lower by itself when running and parked. The Lexus dealer told me my front accumulators were bad and it would be about $1800 for replace them. I paid them the $64 for the repair evaluation, then order 2 new ones from Keith Bowers (above) for $718 total. I ordered them from his site at http://yhst-76231485467161.stores.yahoo.net/buylx470ac.html.

I bought me a couple of floor jacks, jack stands and wrenches in the installing instructions on his site. I ordered on Friday night and got them on Wednesday, so fast service and I called Keith a couple of times with questions, which he glady answered.

I bought 2 Husky floor jacks (3 ton) at Home Depot $39 each and a pair of Husky 3 ton double locking jack stands for $20. Keith said he thought I could do the front without jacking up the back and that worked OK. Both the jack and stands extend higher than the ones I saw at Lowes, good for SUVs.

Lucky for me the local specialty tools store and a 1 1/2" "Service Wrench" by Wright, so I did not have to do any grinding. I found a one foot piece of pipe to put over the short handle for leverage. A great tip from Keith was to rap the accumulator with a 2lb hammer as you are applying torque to loosen it. I think that made a big difference in getting them off.

In addition to Keith's installation instructions, I had a couple of old drip pans which were handy when more fluid leaked as I took off the accumulator. The first one I took off too fast and had a squirt/splash of fluid. The second one I turned until I started to get some leaking, then waited a couple of minutes and was fine when it came off.

Don't forget to wear eye protection just in case.

All is now well.

Gary W. (thunter a alias)