Smart Key Problem

Did I do something wrong? I have never had any problems with the smart key system after driving numerous IS250 loan cars but just got my 2006 GS430 in the last few days.

Getting out of the car at a restaurant last night, I couldn't get the car to lock with the black button on the outside of door handle. Nor would it lock with the lock button on the smart key.

I opened the door and manually turned off the headlights because I was concerned that they may not go off. Then, when I closed the door again, the black rubber lock button on the door handle worked this time.

So, after dinner I walked up to the car and grabbed the door handle to get it to unlock, and, nothing. Wouldn't unlock. Tried unlock button on key. Nothing. Pulled on door handle. Nothing.

Noticed strange triple blink of the led on the smart key, followed by a single blink, but it seemed to be kind of blinking not in a very systematic way from what I can remember.

Tried tapping the smart key on the door glass in case the key battery was not seated properly, but nothing. I DID notice that the lights beneath the side mirrors DID illuminate after a while as if the car recognized the key, but still wouldn't unlock.

Finally after about five minutes I decided to unlock car using the silver side key and the lock cylinder, but car said "Key not detected" and wouldn't start until I held the smart key right up to the start button. Then it started, and it worked fine for the rest of the evening. Still, major pain, and very worrisome.

I will be taking it to the dealer today. Has anyone had a similar problem or know what may have caused the malfunction?

I know if it is pressed multiple timesit looks out. But it seems to have an antenna issue on the transmitter/key

That may be what happened now that I think about it. May have had the key pressed up against my cell phone on the drive and may have locked it out somehow.

The dealer looked at it today but found no trouble codes, and obviously couldn't duplicate it. First time I've ever had it happen with a smart key, and that is despite driving IS250's for several thousand miles this year.

Oh well.