Speedo Display Doesn't Work

Ti Pit

Hi everyone, I'm new here..

I bought my 1991 Toyota Soarer a few days ago and I'm having a problem with my display gauges. My gauges only seem to work once every few days, or when it feels like it. When I bought the car everything was working great, two days later my display went dead.. no more speedo,revs, fuel gauge or heat gauge. The cluster just stays black although all the utility lights like flashers, high beams, cat light, etc still work. The lower information bar also seems to be running into problems .. it starts to flicker every once in a while and the display gets bad..

This morning I started the car and the gauges were all back to normal and working great.. 2 hours later, bam they all died again... same problem as stated above.. a friend and I figured it might be a bad connection behind the cluster so we took the dash apart and played with each one of the wires, this didn't change anything although the information bar started working well again. Still no Speedo/tach/fuel/temp though. When we put everything back together the odometer stopped displaying the km's for some reason. I can see the gauges go on for about a split second when I turn the ignition to the on position but they turn right off and don't come back.

Now I've checked the connections, is there a way to trouble shoot the Digital Gauge unit? I'm guessing there might be a relay or a control box somewhere that is going haywire?

Any advice would be helpful; my local dealer won't touch the car.

-Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same problem with '88 300zx with an all digital cluster. The cluster should have a control box/computer under the dash. Make sure it is properly secured to its mounting location, check for wires/plugs going in to it, and if it possible to unplug it clean all the contacts. It sounds like you have a ground/connectivity problem since the cluster does light up sometimes.