Finally Fixed

Last time I posted a topic, I said my baby won't move anymore. We went over my P0500 CEL code and the posibility of a faulty Speed sensor. I had my mechanic take a look at the speed sensor and he said there was nothing wrong with it. I purchased a used transmission from a 98 ES300 for about $500. My mechanic installed it with new gaskets, filter, oil and an external cooler for $690. Overall about $1200 is so much less than the $4500 the lexus dealership wanted to charge me. The car shifts smoothly, it doesn't jerk forward slightly when I shift into D.

The only thing I noticed is that my alignment is really out of wack but I associate that with the fact that the drive shafts had to be removed to take out the tranny. When i say my alignment, I mean my steering wheel is off center. I also noticed that my gas mileage is slightly lower but after reading the forums, I may need to reset my ECU to compensate for the new tranny. Correct me if I am wrong!

Just because the spokes in the steering wheel are not centered doesn't necessarily mean your front wheels are out of alignment. This adjustment(centralizing) can be made by adjusting the tie rod ends. I'd probably have the alignment done just to be sure. The centralizing of your steering wheel is part of the alignment.

• 1 month later...

I put up with this loose steering wheel for a few months until I got so used to it that when I drive, I knew exactly how much play there was and adjusted accordingly. Thinking I had a very serious problem, I took the car back to the shop where I got the tranny installed and they told me that the nut on the steering collar was loose. He tightned it and didn't charge me anything.