Emergency Brake Adjustment

lexus082

I followed my manual for the SC400. After you check the brake shoe clearance it states to:

Step 1-- inspect brake lever travel. If not within 5-8 clicks adjust parking brake.

Step 2--Remove cup holder

Step 3--Using a socket driver and a spanner wrench, remove the adjusting lock nut.

Step 4--Turn adjusting nut until lever travel is correct.

Step 5--Install the adjusting lock nut and tighten the adjusting lock nut with socket driver and spanner wrench (torque to 5.4 Nm or 48 in-lbf)

My question is the picture isn't exactly clear in the manual and I'm not sure which nut is the adjusting lock nut and which one is the adjusting nut??

Found that one of the pins in the parking brake on the left rear wheel was not connected because the cup was damaged. The cup holds the compressed spring in place.

Now my new question is there any method to determine how much the adjuster needs to be adjusted (at the wheels) in order to get it properly adjusted? Or should I just adjust it with a few more turns than where it is now and then put the wheels back on and see if the e-brake holds when the parking brake lever is pulled up and parking brake holds in between 5-8 clicks like the manual states.

And then if it's still not within those 5-8 clicks take wheels off and re-adjust adjuster a few more turns and then re-test parking brake? Is this one way of doing it? Not sure if thats the correct way yet. I don't want it to be too tight that it drags on the rotors.

Update: I just adjusted the adjusters at the wheels and now my parking brake works, but only really holds the bite if I pull up all the way on the lever and there is little to no resistance within the first 4 clicks. So no I suppose I have adjust the length of the cable where it meets the parking brake lever. Just guessing here.