Suspension

Hey guys. I'm going on 145K in my 92 SC400. I've had a clunking for a while now. Thought maybe it was the control arm bushings but those are still good. A friend of mine told me it's the struts. I feel a lot in the road and have more body lean then I would like. I'm wondering how I could check it out to see if it's the strut for sure before I go buy something new. And if it is, what to go with. Like new springs and strut? Just the strut? Coilover kit? I don't even really know the difference in those. I don't want to spend too much, but I'd like to get that smooth quiet ride back. My car also jerks harder when I hit bumps, it will pull the wheel back and forth if that helps... Thanks for any input!

its kinda hard to tell when a shock is dead unless its completely blown in which case after you hit a bump your car will keep on bouncing for like 10 years but unless you can actually take the shock out and feel by hand its a little hard to tell. but at 145k miles original shocks would be dead! in dont recomend coilovers if you want a smooth ride unless you get some TEIN CS coilovers which is basicly a bit stiffer than stock but with height adjustability and dampening adjustability.

Also, as far as the control arms make sure the ball joints are not causing the "clunk". You can check this by raising the car and then pulling the bottom side of the tire towards you and then pushing away on the top side of the tire. If something shifts while you are pulling/pushing then the ball joint is bad (may be the upper or lower). Its usually the lower ball joint though. Also, inspect the boot on the lower control arm and make sure the boot isn't cracked or sliced. Unless the lower control arms were already replaced recently its probably wise to replace them with new control arms, either toyota supra lca's or the original (lexus) lca's. The bushings are probably worn with that type of mileage and/also the ball joints if not already are probably close to failing soon. And with that mileage you should just replace the shocks if they haven't been replaced lately... From what you describe as far as the jerking it probably is the ball joints which isn't a cheap fix just to warn you.