New Guy

95_SC400

Hi, I have a 95' SC400 with almost 94k on it. I got it about 8 months ago and it seemed to be driving well. About 4 months later i was driving about 35 mph and hit the gas. The motor hit 6 thousand rpm but i wasn't accellerating. I let the gas go until i got down to 3 thousand rpm and only then the car started accellerating again. Unfortunatley this is the third time this happened in about 5 months. I was wondering if this is the tranny going bad or some other problem. Thanks.

Hi, I have a 95' SC400 with almost 94k on it. I got it about 8 months ago and it seemed to be driving well. About 4 months later i was driving about 35 mph and hit the gas. The motor hit 6 thousand rpm but i wasn't accellerating. I let the gas go until i got down to 3 thousand rpm and only then the car started accellerating again. Unfortunatley this is the third time this happened in about 5 months. I was wondering if this is the tranny going bad or some other problem. Thanks.

Cruising at 35 mph, the car was probably on second gear, hitting the pedal, it downshifted to first gear and reved up to 6000rpm, it happened to me also.

Now when I want to crank it up while at low speed, I go gradually on the pedal, it all depends on the speed and gear the car is going.

Cheers! blue

The engine shouldn't reach 6000 rpm at 35mph even if your a lead foot. I'd be careful. Obviously you felt something might be wrong otherwise you wouldn't have posted this. When your transmission shifts is it smooth through all the gears? Again with the engine at that kind of rpm at that speed I would have my doubts upon whether or not everything is mechanically sound. I'm no technician, but the high rpm's chill my bones. :o

Check your fluid level and the condition of the transmission fluid. Is your "Over Drive" light blinking at all while driving.

If your transmission is slipping and it isnt fluid you will know, it will get worse until the car will barely move.

Should you go to a transmission shop for a rebuild, ask for the fleet rate. Probably looking at 2,000[

quote name=lexus082' date='Aug 13 2006, 11:35 PM' post='203408]

The engine shouldn't reach 6000 rpm at 35mph even if your a lead foot. I'd be careful. Obviously you felt something might be wrong otherwise you wouldn't have posted this. When your transmission shifts is it smooth through all the gears? Again with the engine at that kind of rpm at that speed I would have my doubts upon whether or not everything is mechanically sound. I'm no technician, but the high rpm's chill my bones. :o

Check your fluid level and the condition of the transmission fluid. Is your "Over Drive" light blinking at all while driving.

If your transmission is slipping and it isnt fluid you will know, it will get worse until the car will barely move.

Should you go to a transmission shop for a rebuild, ask for the fleet rate. Probably looking at 2,000[

quote name=lexus082' date='Aug 13 2006, 11:35 PM' post='203408]

Thanks for all the info. I did go to a transmission shop and they said that the oil seemed to be fine ( i did replace it about 1500 ago). They said if it only happened 3 times in 8 months its probably nothing to worry about. I'll see whats up in the future and go from there. Thanks you every body for your comments.