1997 Ls400 Crankshaft Sprocket & Seal

latintxn54

Anyone out there ever remove the crankshaft sprocket, which is mandatory prio to replacing the seal? I've got the official Lexus repair manual on CD as well as other resources off the internet which explain using a SST tool for removing the sprocket but that tool's impossible to find. Even the local Lexus dealers won't rent the tool. I'm hoping someone out there has been thru this experience as I am ready to replace the timing belt, water pump & idler pulleys. I'd like to do the 2 camshaft seals which seems pretty straight forward and requires only a harmonic-balance-type-pulley tool to remove the camshaft pulleys. It's the crankshaft sprocket that's a concern. Perhaps someone's got an alternative tool. Thanks for any replies. V. Gonzalez

Anyone out there ever remove the crankshaft sprocket, which is mandatory prio to replacing the seal? I've got the official Lexus repair manual on CD as well as other resources off the internet which explain using a SST tool for removing the sprocket but that tool's impossible to find. Even the local Lexus dealers won't rent the tool. I'm hoping someone out there has been thru this experience as I am ready to replace the timing belt, water pump & idler pulleys. I'd like to do the 2 camshaft seals which seems pretty straight forward and requires only a harmonic-balance-type-pulley tool to remove the camshaft pulleys. It's the crankshaft sprocket that's a concern. Perhaps someone's got an alternative tool. Thanks for any replies. V. Gonzalez

this thread might help you:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=26997