My New/used Sc400

eman

Hello everyone.

My name is Emmanuel and I have recently aquired a 92 SC400 from my nieghbour. I am also fortunate enough to find this forum. The car is Renessance Red with Tan interior and has 330000KM's. At first that concerned me a very great deal. But after reading what the lifespan on these cars are I think I have a few years left on it.

I was fortunate to be able to pick it up for only 1000. The car has records of being serviced by a lexus dealer on regular intervals about 20000KM each. This is documented up until 200000KM. At that point I know that this car became a "winter" car and was only driven occasionally since 1997.

What concerns me however is that the OD light is blinking when i Press it on. There is however no noticable drivablity issues with the car. Frankly i think it drives fine.

Anyone have any input? What things should i maybe also look out for?

Im planing on changing every fluid in the vehicle, tranny, engine oil, coolant, brake fluid. Have it tuned up and inspected.

Thanks so much for your input.

Emmanuel

Hello everyone.

My name is Emmanuel and I have recently aquired a 92 SC400 from my nieghbour. I am also fortunate enough to find this forum. The car is Renessance Red with Tan interior and has 330000KM's. At first that concerned me a very great deal. But after reading what the lifespan on these cars are I think I have a few years left on it.

I was fortunate to be able to pick it up for only 1000. The car has records of being serviced by a lexus dealer on regular intervals about 20000KM each. This is documented up until 200000KM. At that point I know that this car became a "winter" car and was only driven occasionally since 1997.

What concerns me however is that the OD light is blinking when i Press it on. There is however no noticable drivablity issues with the car. Frankly i think it drives fine.

Anyone have any input? What things should i maybe also look out for?

Im planing on changing every fluid in the vehicle, tranny, engine oil, coolant, brake fluid. Have it tuned up and inspected.

Thanks so much for your input.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel, Welcome to the club :cheers: I am sure you will find a boatload of info on this site concerning your car.

Thank you.

I love car forum sites. I like knowing whats going on with my own car, hearing stories and knowing tht im not alone.

I love getting my hands dirty and doing it myself also :P

As far as your overdrive light blinking, On my ford (with the e4od electronic tranny), the overdrive light blinking means there is a transmission problem. May be the same on the SC400 since the transmission is electronically controlled. I'm not positive about this on these cars, so if anyone else know for sure please correct me. You might want to count the shifts. You should feel (or document with the rpm needle) 4 shifts plus one extra for the torque converter lockdown (so that means 5 changes in RPM). That's my two cents, at least!

YOu might also want to have the computer scanned to see if there are any codes. If there is a problem with the transmission you would be best to fix it before it becomes a larger problem. Most auto parts stores will let you use their's at no charge (around here they do) as they want to sell you as many parts as possible I guess. Hope that helps at least a little.