Active Height Control - Pull Fuse To Leave At L

nastylexus

Just purchased a 99 LX 470 the other day. Love the car so far. I know the Active height control will revert back to N when you put it in drive. I was wondering if anyone try to pull the fuse on the active height control to leave it a L. I'll never go off road and I like getting in and out of the vehicle when it's at L and don't want to push the button each time. Also, I figure it may handle better at L and also maybe even get better gas milage.

Will it damage the suspension if I do this? I know that it's no problem for most cars if you lower the car with springs, but I don't know enough about this suspension.

Just purchased a 99 LX 470 the other day. Love the car so far. I know the Active height control will revert back to N when you put it in drive. I was wondering if anyone try to pull the fuse on the active height control to leave it a L. I'll never go off road and I like getting in and out of the vehicle when it's at L and don't want to push the button each time. Also, I figure it may handle better at L and also maybe even get better gas milage.

Will it damage the suspension if I do this? I know that it's no problem for most cars if you lower the car with springs, but I don't know enough about this suspension.

Might not be advisable to do that. There must be a good reason why Lexus designed it that way. ;)

Well, I did pull the fuse on the driver's side and it did stay at L while I drove it. It takes about 2 seconds to pull the fuse, so I just did it since I can always put it back. Seems to handle a lot better with less body roll, however, the suspension is a little firmer. Took it on the freeway and didn't seem to have any problems.

I did a search for this issue and there is a Japanese company that makes a device that overrides the height control and leave it at the setting. No need for it since it's just a matter of pulling the fuse.

Anyone know why Lexus design it this way? It seems kind of redundant pushing the button and waiting 5 seconds for the car to lower, then getting out of the vehicle.

If there is no real issue with this, I preferred to leave it at L around the city and freeway driving. In the meantime, I'll put the fuse back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did pull the fuse on the driver's side and it did stay at L while I drove it. It takes about 2 seconds to pull the fuse, so I just did it since I can always put it back. Seems to handle a lot better with less body roll, however, the suspension is a little firmer. Took it on the freeway and didn't seem to have any problems.

I did a search for this issue and there is a Japanese company that makes a device that overrides the height control and leave it at the setting. No need for it since it's just a matter of pulling the fuse.

Anyone know why Lexus design it this way? It seems kind of redundant pushing the button and waiting 5 seconds for the car to lower, then getting out of the vehicle.

If there is no real issue with this, I preferred to leave it at L around the city and freeway driving. In the meantime, I'll put the fuse back.

For one thing, the front end alignment will be incorrect and will wear out the tires quickly if driven on pavement much in the Low position.