Phone Wiring Diagram

the-hedge

Well, there are quite a few "plugs" on the OEM phone system in my similar 2000 LS400. There are three under the rear of the center console, at least three in the trunk and one on the steering wheel where the "command module" is installed on the left side of the steering wheel.

Here is a link to another thread that has a PDF that shows how I used the driver side OEM phone connector under the console to hook up a Nokia phone kit mute wire on my 2000 LS: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=7791

I think there was also 12 volt power in at least one of the under-console phone plugs (at least on my 00 LS) -- you can find the pins with a cheap unpowered 12 volt test light. There may be a ground pin too - I never tried to find one but I'll bet you could with a little investigation.

One of the most intriguing products I found (and bought) is a "mute lead" from Dashmount in the U.K. which "should" (according to the diagram in my 00 LS repair manual) allow connecting a Nokia phone kit to the 98-00 LS400 (standard or Nav only) radio amplifier to power the phone kit, mute the radio on a call, and play the call through the door speakers. (The mute lead did not work on my Nakamichi and would not work on Blake918's 95 LS with the standard Pioneer system.) Adaptors are (or at least were) available to use the Dashmount mute lead with phone kits from other companies besides Nokia. I'll attach a photo -- does the amp under your front passenger seat have two connectors with the configuration shown in the photo?

I doubt if it is realistic to use the steering wheel command module to control functions on an aftermarket phone kit. I obtained the pinouts for my Nokia kit and phone and was blown away at the complexity of the micro-voltages required to control the phone's function. Besides, many phone kits (Parrot, Nokia, Motorola and others) are now coming with their own remote controls that mount on the dash.

And some aftermarket Nav systems (e.g. TomTom) have built-in Bluetooth phone support that utilizes the nav screen and support POI dialing. Very cool.

So many options to consider!

post-2157-1153086540_thumb.jpg

I used both Jims and Blakes advice to install the Motorola IFH 1000 bluetoothe in my 1997 LS. My car had the integrated phone but there was no mute lead in the console wiring harness so I had to go to the trunk and run a wire for the phone control unit.

I have been unable to attach the word document but I will try again.

The motorola bluetooth is such a pleasure that I purchased another one for my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I used both Jims and Blakes advice to install the Motorola IFH 1000 bluetoothe in my 1997 LS. My car had the integrated phone but there was no mute lead in the console wiring harness so I had to go to the trunk and run a wire for the phone control unit.

I have been unable to attach the word document but I will try again.

The motorola bluetooth is such a pleasure that I purchased another one for my Jeep Grand Cherokee.