Transmission Mount

I've been trying to figure out why do I get vibrations when at idle, or why do I hear a "clunk" when I switch from Park to Drive. I've searched this forum, and it looks like the engine mounts are responsible for this. Visually, I couldn't find anything wrong with my front engine mount, but when I took a closer look at my transmission mount, I realized that it might be worn...I mean, I saw a bolt in the middle, with nothing around it (see picture). Is this a sign of a worn transmission mount? If so, is it possible to replace just the rubber around the bolt (if that is what the problem is), without changing the entire mount? How difficult is it? I noticed that there are a total of 8 bolts holding it in place - 4 on the bottom (I could feel them with my fingers), and 2 on each side (at an angle). Can somebody post a DIY instructions? I've found a lot of useful information on this site, but I couldn't find anything specifically for my '99 ES.

transmission2ub.jpg

Also, I wanted to get back on the subject of front motor mount. While, when looking directly at it, I couldn't see anything wrong with it, I did lift up my hood, and I tried to look (through the opening) at the engine behaviour when adding gas (I didn't have anybody with me at the moment), and I could see it trying to lift up....although slightly! Should it be replaced as well?

Finally, where do you guys stand on the aftermarket parts? Are they worth it? I mean, I don't want to buy them, find that they don't fit properly, or have to replace them a month after the installation.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...