Can't Get Rear Floor Mats Under Duct

91LS400vgb

1991 LS400 here - the owner's guide says to slide the rear mats under the ducts located beneath the front seats but there just doesn't seem to be enough clearance for me to do so - result is that the mats tend to block the rear air coming from under the seats and also makes it a pain when I want to give the rear floor a quick vacuum because the mats are not held down. Anyone have any tips to get the mats under the ducts? Thanks.

The only tip I have is to run the seats all the way forward to provide room to work.

Just grab the rear lip of the floor vent housing (where it touches the carpet) with your finger tips and pull up as you slide (i.e. force!) the mat under it. You may have to work the floor mat under the lip a little bit at a time. I don't remember this being extremely difficult to do over the 13+ years I owned a 90 LS and I always secured the front edges of the rear mats under the floor vent housing. It didn't seem like a very good design.

This "feature" was eliminated on the later LS400's -- the rear mats are smaller and do not extend forward under the front seats.