Steering Tilt Malfuction 93 Ls400

HomerTHX1138

Well per earlier thread, just received a 93LS400.

I don't this is relevant but just in case it is: I installed the rehabed circuit boards, and returned the instrument cluster to working condition. I hooked the power back up and everything, including the steering tilt was fine. I had it all the way back and down for the cluster install and so proceeded to put it into a comfortable driving position, I moved it in a bit, up some, then back down and noticed it made a weird noise -kind of a grinding or gear slipping noise when I hit the downmost limit. I shut the car off and the wheel moved to the "up and out" position. All was fine until I started it back up: Now the wheel stays in the up an out position. Joystick toggling causes that same clacking/gear slipping/grinding noise -whatever you want to call it - when I hit the downmost limit. It clearly sounds to me like a motor is moving but two units of the mechanism are not engaging properly ie perhaps a gear or link is broken or disengaged.

Obviously I did not do anything do the tilt mechanism while replacing the cluster other than to move it to the down and out position using the joystick.

I did several searches for this issue and came up empty which worries me as this may not be a common problem or DIY fix.

PS - Totally unrelated but I had to replace a corner light that had been cracked. I thought I broke the new one beyond repair (copper contact and bulb popped into the housing) until I read the how-to guide. Excellent resource!

Thanks! I do wonder if it is the same problem? Mine won't move at all (in out doesn't work) and it makes the noise which is not mentioned in that thread. [edit]=noise is mentioned later in the thread. [/edit]

In any case, this looks to be a great starting point and well documented. Opening it up will at least help me understand what is going on.

:cheers: