Oil Leak Problem

I noticed there is oil leak for my car for a while in the parking lot.

When i brought my car to check for a/c service, i was told the valve cover gasket(front) need to be replaced. Is it supposed to be replaced when i do timing belt replacement? Or it is a seperate part.

What else do i need to replace when i asked them to replace the valve cover gasket?

thank you for your comments.

Seperate.

The front gasket is actually easy to do it yourself. You need a 10mm socket & wratchet. Once you take the ignition coils & the little plastic engine cover off (Allen wrench, I forget maybe 5, or 7mm).

The valve cover is only held on by 8x 10mm bolts.

Take it off, throw the old gasket away, clean the surfaces with rubbing alcohol to get all the oil off the surfaces. Installation is the reverse of removal. :)

You're asking why I just told you to do it yourself.

1) it'll take you an hour

2) the gasket is about $12 by itself VS they're gonna charge you an hour, or two of labor + the gasket.

3) i remember you... you're cool like that lol!

Thank you very much. I will try to do it by myself then.

Does someboy have pictures to show the steps and the position of the gasket?

Seperate.

The front gasket is actually easy to do it yourself. You need a 10mm socket & wratchet. Once you take the ignition coils & the little plastic engine cover off (Allen wrench, I forget maybe 5, or 7mm).

The valve cover is only held on by 8x 10mm bolts.

Take it off, throw the old gasket away, clean the surfaces with rubbing alcohol to get all the oil off the surfaces. Installation is the reverse of removal. :)

You're asking why I just told you to do it yourself.

1) it'll take you an hour

2) the gasket is about $12 by itself VS they're gonna charge you an hour, or two of labor + the gasket.

3) i remember you... you're cool like that lol!

Really the gasket is a "it'll only go one way" type of thing.

Check that repair manual you got last time.

My engine is alittle different, but basically.

1) You take the wires & hoses off the front valve cover that are in the way

L5-topside.jpg

2) You unbolt ithe valve cover & pry it up (Note, Toyota was smart when they made the engine. They installed a 10mm allen bolt in the top of the valve cover so that you can pry the valve cover off without muh effort!)

3) You'll have just the very front part of the engine taken off (I had alot more off in this pic, but that isn't a concern for you).

oil-on-cams.jpg

This

MVC-129F.jpg

to this

MVC-123F.jpg

• 1 month later...