Green Slime

maxed_out

Hey all. I was kinda getting tired of seeing the back end on my 91 droop more and more with each passing day. So I checked it out with a spray bottle of soapy water and the left rear air strut had a small leak.

Just to let you know that I'm not totally off the deep end, I ordered a new (used) one. So waiting for it to arrive, decided to try out the ole green slime-you know the stuff for tires. I took off the strut and held it horizontal and added some green slime. I took the strut and rolled it around to move the slime inside to coat everything. I did 2 small applications and the stuff went right in.

I used the air connection from the suspension sys to pump up the strut and seat the slime. Seat the slime boy that sounds weird. Anyway, put it all back together and shes still holding with no leaks.

Will report results until the new one comes. I dont think this is wise nor I dont think its a long term solution it may just buy a week or so.

In case you need the link to green slime its here. http://slime.com/customercare/viewfaq.php?id=30&q=

No I dont work for them, just thought I'd share my tale with you. It may just work because I'd guess that system runs on lower pressure high volume type setup.

I'll try to take a picture of the strut next time because I think you will see where the whole problem lies for these fine systems. The rubber boot wont allow the water in the wheel well out properly-it gets trapped against the strut. I'm guessing that here in the noreast with all the salt in winter that the rust does these things in.

Happy trails.

Hey overnight update. woke up and checked. still holding air. no droop. got a road trip today which should give it a good workout and will report results.

also got new rotors (off ebay-non oem) installed and will post those results too.

This was real creative thinking.

I have used this material for several years to stop slow leaks in lawn mower tires. It handles this very common problem with ease. A few ounces of Green Slime in each tire, and your leak is usually fixed permanently.

• 4 weeks later...