2003 Es Windshield/moonroof

1lola1

I drove a 2000 ES300 up until this past March, when the lease was up. I loved that car. After researching a few other cars (Infinity, Mercedes), and I decided to purchase another ES300. I had considerable problems with the moonroof which started out as wind noise and ended up with the roof "banging" terribly when it was opened or closed. After 3 trips to the dealer, it seems better, but I'm not sure if it's perfect. More puzzling is the fact that the windshield wipers DO NOT clear my windshiled when it rains. A mechanic noticed this on his own for my 5,000 checkup. They repaced the blades, they made sure no film was on the window. Still, the problem persists and I cannot see clearly when it rains. I'm wondering if it is in the glass itself. Any of this sound familiar?

I have niether of those problems myself. I doubt that the windshield wiper issue has anything to do with the glass itself, more likely there are rubber deposits on the glass surface that are streaking as the wiper passes. You're going to need some sort of polish or a claybar to really clean the window well.

Another peice of advice is to go out and buy some better wiper blades than the OEM Lexus ones. Bosch makes good ones, so does PIAA.

I don't have any loud bangs or rattles, my moonroof just started creaking/squeaking when it is closed and I go over bumps. I am sure it is just an adjustment on fitment in the closed position.

The OEM wipers aren't too bad. My first guess given your description is that there is something hidden on the window.

Could be anything from tree sap, to bird crap, to a thin film of wax from automated car washes. I use to get this when I used RainX. After a while (less than 3 months) the wipers would start to degrade and leave a rubber film on the window, but you couldn't see it with the naked eye. You only saw uneven clearing of the window.

Try a thorough cleaning with pure alcohol (not the drinking kind). you can get this at autozone or any auto parts store. Home Depot has it too. This will stip any wax that may have gotten on there.

PIAA wipers are excellent (I have them). They require that you thoroughly clean the window then apply a silicone dressing to the clean window. It comes in a handy wipe applicator. Takes a few minutes to do, but it is worth it. PIAA wipers are about $25 each, but supposedly will last a year. I used to replace wipers every six months at $11 each on my old car. PIAA hopefully will be an even trade.

whatever the moonroof is, keep on the dealer if it is still under warranty.

steviej