Sludge, How Do I Know If I Have A Problem

tealboy

I have finally changed the oil on my new, but used 2002 lexus rx 300. A quick review, this car has 41k miles, was always serviced timely by lexus and runs perfectly (and shifts perfectly). Anyway, it was lexus certified car that I purchased from new york. Still hate the salt damage which is new to me as a floridian, but love the car. Anyway, the oil was svcd by lexus when i purchased it so the first oil change was done today. The dip stick was very low after 4000 miles, just touching the bottom of the stick (i should have checked it sooner but i thought only my exped burned oil b/c it was domestic). Anyway, i was surprised to find some oil gumminess around the top of the dipstick, though the oil was fine. In fact, the oil was warm when i drained it and it ran without the least bit of indication that it was sludgy. again, the oil sign was some stickness/gumminess around the top of the dipstick, around the o ring.

is this something to be concerned with?

also, i must confess, even though it only has 4k miles, it has been 7 mos, which is prob too long.

I have finally changed the oil on my new, but used 2002 lexus rx 300. A quick review, this car has 41k miles, was always serviced timely by lexus and runs perfectly (and shifts perfectly). Anyway, it was lexus certified car that I purchased from new york. Still hate the salt damage which is new to me as a floridian, but love the car. Anyway, the oil was svcd by lexus when i purchased it so the first oil change was done today. The dip stick was very low after 4000 miles, just touching the bottom of the stick (i should have checked it sooner but i thought only my exped burned oil b/c it was domestic). Anyway, i was surprised to find some oil gumminess around the top of the dipstick, though the oil was fine. In fact, the oil was warm when i drained it and it ran without the least bit of indication that it was sludgy. again, the oil sign was some stickness/gumminess around the top of the dipstick, around the o ring.

is this something to be concerned with?

also, i must confess, even though it only has 4k miles, it has been 7 mos, which is prob too long.

Slight sludge around the dip-stick tells you nothing. Lift, or have someone lift, the front valve cover and look for sludge deposits. You should see none if there is no problem.

I agree that sludge drops on the dip stick is nothing to worry about. Draining oil probably won't show you anything about sludge since any potential sludge will be clinging to the valve train. I would assume that the only way to tell is to pull the valve cover.

Gary