Vague Handling -95 Ls Air Ride

W201 sweden

Hi guys!

My LS does not handle as well as its supposed to. When changing lanes on the high way, there is a

certain sloppyness from the rear end, like the bushings were way too soft.

In the front end there is a similar feeling, especially during hard breaking, where the car tends to wander sideways.

There is no obvious leakage in the air system, and NO noise from the suspension. And it passed the annual mandantory "govermental inspection" without remarks, as well as the service at Toyota/Lexus dealer.

Also, once the car has "settled" during cornering, it feels very "tight" and responsive for it's size.

The problem is more pronounced with my summer tyres on, 1/2 wider rims and 10 mm more protrusion compared to std rims. The tyres seems to wear evenly.

Where do I start?

/Alexander

Hi guys!

My LS does not handle as well as its supposed to. When changing lanes on the high way, there is a

certain sloppyness from the rear end, like the bushings were way too soft.

In the front end there is a similar feeling, especially during hard breaking, where the car tends to wander sideways.

There is no obvious leakage in the air system, and NO noise from the suspension. And it passed the annual mandantory "govermental inspection" without remarks, as well as the service at Toyota/Lexus dealer.

Also, once the car has "settled" during cornering, it feels very "tight" and responsive for it's size.

The problem is more pronounced with my summer tyres on, 1/2 wider rims and 10 mm more protrusion compared to std rims. The tyres seems to wear evenly.

Where do I start?

/Alexander

SOP...

Nature of the beast!

Sell it and buy one with struts.

SOP...

Nature of the beast!

I hope that was a joke? <_<

The problem is hardly related to the air struts per se, as far as I understand, and there is no way the car felt like this when new. The cars with air suspension handle better in high speeds, than those with the soft conventional suspension. I tried a couple of other LS 400 before I settled for this one, and they both behaved better on the road.

The tyres are currently nearly new Z-rated Bridgestone Turanza ER 300, but it was the same

with worn out Blizzaks (mounted when I bought it) and almost worn out Continental Winter tyres.

/Alexander

SOP...

Nature of the beast!

I hope that was a joke? <_<

The problem is hardly related to the air struts per se, as far as I understand, and there is no way the car felt like this when new. The cars with air suspension handle better in high speeds, than those with the soft conventional suspension. I tried a couple of other LS 400 before I settled for this one, and they both behaved better on the road.

The tyres are currently nearly new Z-rated Bridgestone Turanza ER 300, but it was the same

with worn out Blizzaks (mounted when I bought it) and almost worn out Continental Winter tyres.

/Alexander

Sorry to say, that was no joke.

Your can improve the handling somewhat by adjusting the height sensors to lower the car. I adjusted all four to the maximum lowering level just after first purchasing the car back in 91. Additionally the car will also lower itself slightly above 80 MPH, which is of little help here in the US. I also upgraded my 92 to 16" wheels jsut after buying it.

The wandering sideways under hard braking is more likely the result of a stuck brake caliper, something I have experienced, or something loose in the front suspension.

Those bridgestone Turanzas are the best choice you could have made for ride comfort and quietness.

Thanks for the reply wwest, although I feel we discuss different things here? I guess I need to add some more info?

I've been a professional car tech, with several years of experience, althogh not from Lexus. I've also tested other similar LS cars, though they are very rare in Sweden - you will see at least 20 Mercedes S-Klasse for each LS... <_<

There is an actual wear/problem in MY car. This phenomena was not to be found in the other LS:es I tried.

It is also VERY clearly not a breaking problem, trust me.

I just wonder WHERE to start, when I rebuild/adjust my suspension?

Instead of going wild, and spend a fortune on replacing every link and bushing, I whish some "usual suspects" in the suspension. Perhaps we have someone in this forum who has been through this process?

And by the way, the Polish made Bridgestones are far from Michelins, and they have a rather annoying noise. I use them because they are new, and came with the car. Perhaps the Bridgestone tyres in US are made to a different spec, the Michelins surely differ from the "originals" made in Europe.

/Alexander from Sweden

Thanks for the reply wwest, although I feel we discuss different things here? I guess I need to add some more info?

I've been a professional car tech, with several years of experience, althogh not from Lexus. I've also tested other similar LS cars, though they are very rare in Sweden - you will see at least 20 Mercedes S-Klasse for each LS... <_<

There is an actual wear/problem in MY car. This phenomena was not to be found in the other LS:es I tried.

It is also VERY clearly not a breaking problem, trust me.

I just wonder WHERE to start, when I rebuild/adjust my suspension?

Instead of going wild, and spend a fortune on replacing every link and bushing, I whish some "usual suspects" in the suspension. Perhaps we have someone in this forum who has been through this process?

And by the way, the Polish made Bridgestones are far from Michelins, and they have a rather annoying noise. I use them because they are new, and came with the car. Perhaps the Bridgestone tyres in US are made to a different spec, the Michelins surely differ from the "originals" made in Europe.

/Alexander from Sweden

The air suspension in the LS400 series is designed primarily for COMFORT, not performance (as in high speed cornering..). Here in the US if one wants an LS400 for performance (a GS430 would be the true answer) one would buy an LS400 with Euro tuned suspension, struts and springs.

How many miles...??

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this one up again...

It wanders slightly on the highway, feels unsecure at speed due to some sloppiness in the rear end, and is sensitive to side winds etc. Feels like WAY too low tire pressure. Get the picture? :)

IT IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE SHOCK ABSORBERS COMPRESSION/REBOUND OR "FIRMNESS" IN SPRINGS!

(did wwest get this? ;) )

The bushings and links in the suspension are probably the root cause, but where to start?

best regards,

Alexander from Sweden