Ipod Interface - Gx470 Touchscreen

Hi All !

Has anyone installed the Vaistech ipod interface? Im interested in knowing if this unit can control the ipod through album / genre / artist etc, or only by creating playlists like some of the other products out there.

Also can the touchscreen be used to control the ipod faetures? I have checked out the vaistech website but still not too clear on details.

I tried repalcing the factory unit with a pioneer aftermarket stereo plus ipod controller. This did not work too well as the Pioneer interface is clumsy and time consuming making it dangerous to operate while driving !!

I have now put back the original lexus stereo and im looking around for better ipod control alternatives.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!

Alex,

• 1 year later...

Hi All !

Has anyone installed the Vaistech ipod interface? Im interested in knowing if this unit can control the ipod through album / genre / artist etc, or only by creating playlists like some of the other products out there.

Also can the touchscreen be used to control the ipod faetures? I have checked out the vaistech website but still not too clear on details.

I tried repalcing the factory unit with a pioneer aftermarket stereo plus ipod controller. This did not work too well as the Pioneer interface is clumsy and time consuming making it dangerous to operate while driving !!

I have now put back the original lexus stereo and im looking around for better ipod control alternatives.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!

Alex,

Use vaistech. You're right about the playlist limitation but you won't care. You can name a playlist "steely dan" and have every steely dan song in that playlist so you are sort of indexing it by artist that way. From my experience we use the ipod the same way every time but if you want genre, make a playlist called "genre christmas" or genre rock" and put the songs from that genre in there. You can have up to 1000 playlists so it would be impossible to consider this a limitation. The important thing is that it's reliable, which mine is. Each playlist shows up as a "folder" and within the folder you drill down to the "files" in that folder which are the songs. It's awesome. You control it from your steering wheel controls and the nav touchscreen. Get one.

• 2 weeks later...
Use vaistech. You're right about the playlist limitation but you won't care. You can name a playlist "steely dan" and have every steely dan song in that playlist so you are sort of indexing it by artist that way. From my experience we use the ipod the same way every time but if you want genre, make a playlist called "genre christmas" or genre rock" and put the songs from that genre in there. You can have up to 1000 playlists so it would be impossible to consider this a limitation. The important thing is that it's reliable, which mine is. Each playlist shows up as a "folder" and within the folder you drill down to the "files" in that folder which are the songs. It's awesome. You control it from your steering wheel controls and the nav touchscreen. Get one.

I second the recommendation; I've had mine for over a year and it works really well. You can also use the smart playlists feature to create a list of all your favorite songs (I have an 80's rock playlist) that gets added to automatically when you add new songs to the itunes library. Been using it for over a year now; besides scrolling through the artist/album/genre lists seems a surefire way to crash the car :chairshot: . You can always put it in manual mode however if you want access to the full library.