I Have A Re-built Tranny! What I Need To Know...

jjmancini

Hey everyone!

I found myself a new transmission for my 1990 LS400. It is not yet installed, that will be happening on Thursday, so my questions are:

1) Is there anything I could / should do while I have the transmission sitting out of a car before I pput it in. Clean it? Change something? etc? I'm not much of a mechanic so I rereally do not know what I should do to it.

2) Should I buy a new tourque converter while it is exposed?

3) Should I change my solenoids?

What do you reccommend? Thanks!

I have 48 hours to get responses, so please let me know ASAP!

Thanks! :ph34r:

I'd recommend definitely to having the torque converter replaced. When you send a car in for a trans rebuild, it's often mandatory for the torque converter to be replaced, esp. when the trans goes out because of high mileage. I'd at least have your converter checked out by a trans shop.

While the trans is out of the car, replace the rear main seal on the back of the crankshaft. You'll need to remove the flexplate (what the torque converter bolts to) but after that it's pretty straightforward to do. Also check the EGR pipe for cracks or leaks. I'd imagine it would be easier to get at with the trans out of the way, getting at it from the back of the engine. Also check the trans mount. They're not super expensive, so it may be a good idea just to replace it as a matter of course. Aside from that, make sure all the wiring harnesses' connectors are nice and clean and they have fresh dielectric grease on the contacts.