2003 Es300 Transmission Leak

I had NTB change out my transmission fluid and I believe they used the Dexron III. After 10K miles my seals started leaking so I took it in to the dealer. They said the wrong type of fluid was used and it caused the seals to leak, and might have damaged my transmission.

I know there is a Toyota Type IV fluid that the dealership uses, but isn't it basically the same?

Is that possible Dexron III could cause that much damage, or are they just trying to rip me off?

On page 318 of your 2003 owners manual It says "use only Toyota genuine ATF Type T-IV" . Msnual also says using other fluids could "ultimately damage the transmission" . The lower middle part of the transmission oil dipstick also says: "use Type T-IV". Since you cannot reasonably expect Lexus to cover the cost of damage resulting from using the wrong type of transmission oil, maybe your best bet now is to take your car to another dealer or independent shops to see if any of them think the seals that are leaking could be replaced without needing to replace the whole transmission

I've always wondered in this situation if the shop that the vehicle was taken to for repairs/maintenance is legally responsible for the repairs for adding the incorrect type of fluid. If a repair shop replaced my fuel pump and added diesel instead of gas to the tank, I'd be pointing the finger at them.

I've always wondered in this situation if the shop that the vehicle was taken to for repairs/maintenance is legally responsible for the repairs for adding the incorrect type of fluid. If a repair shop replaced my fuel pump and added diesel instead of gas to the tank, I'd be pointing the finger at them.

You can definately do that

try it maybe they will pay for all the repairs