1991 Ls400 Pulley Behind The Fan Does Not Move

weazel8

I am new to fixing cars and usually dont do it myself. My serpentime belt broke. I am replacing the tensino pulley because some of the belt melted to that pulley. As I was working I noticed that the pulley behind the fan, actually the fan clutch, doen't move at all. I can't spin it. I know the belt wraps around it but my question is should this spin ir is it just a quide?

I am new to fixing cars and usually dont do it myself. My serpentime belt broke. I am replacing the tensino pulley because some of the belt melted to that pulley. As I was working I noticed that the pulley behind the fan, actually the fan clutch, doen't move at all. I can't spin it. I know the belt wraps around it but my question is should this spin ir is it just a quide?

This is a picture of what I am talking about. This isnt a picture of mine, I found this one. But behind the washers that are being pointed out in this pick is were the belt wraps around what the fan clutch is mounted on. Should the spin or does the belt just wrap around this.

http://www.lexls.com/images/fanconversion/fanconversion1.jpg

yes the pulley with the 4 bolts should turn freely with little resistance. After all, this is the pulley that the fan is connected to. Maybe the reason the serpentine belt snapped is because the pulley froze. I've don't know what would cause the pulley to freeze

yes the pulley with the 4 bolts should turn freely with little resistance. After all, this is the pulley that the fan is connected to. Maybe the reason the serpentine belt snapped is because the pulley froze. I've don't know what would cause the pulley to freeze

That pulley is rock solid. I cant move it at all. SO I am guessing that yep that is what caused it to snap. Also I have been reading and should that fan spin freely or should the clutch stop it from spinning. My fan clutch might be bad to. How can I tell?

I pulled the fan clutch off and pulled this pulley off the four bolts that hold it. But I am still not sure if it should spin. Does the mount spin, that actually pulley that is on the four bolts doesnt spin unless those four bolts and the mount spin , should that spin?

You need a fan bracket. you have to take off the left side engine timing covers. The bracket has 2, 12mm & 2, 14mm fasteners on the front. Also 2 of the A/C compressor bolts from the side.

Everything overlaps. Just keep pulling things off. Theres hidden bolts underneath. If you have the new bracket check out the bolt holes. Its a bigger job than what it appears. Good luck and remember where everything goes. If your timing belt is due for renewal now is the time to do it as you will be 80% there once its off...........Just a note. The bearing in the fan bracket is not fixable.

Good tip. Upon comparison I noticed that there are two bolts that screw in sideways, down by the A/C pulley. I tried to losen those but cant get them to budge. Would I need an impact wrench for this.

To do this I am following instructions on how to replace the timing belt. My belt is good and to early to replace. The questions I have is in the instructions it tells me to remove the crankshaft pulley. I dont want to do that unless I have to for the fan bracket. So to remove that will I need to remove the crankshaft pulley. It doesn't look like it overlaps with the bracket as much as I can tell.

The damn bracket cost me $270 after taxes. But if I can finish this myslef I will be saving almost $600 in labor.

Also is there any other maintenace I should do while I have my car half apart?

When i did mine i replaced the bearings in the pulleys. Just knock out the bearing and take it to a bearing supply store. It cost me about $6 per pulley. You can get the bracket off without removing the crankshaft pulley. A good spanner with a leverage bar should undo the side bolts. You should be able to remove everything with the radiator still in place, otherwise remove it and do a coolant change also and this gives extra room to work.

Good tip. Upon comparison I noticed that there are two bolts that screw in sideways, down by the A/C pulley. I tried to losen those but cant get them to budge. Would I need an impact wrench for this.

To do this I am following instructions on how to replace the timing belt. My belt is good and to early to replace. The questions I have is in the instructions it tells me to remove the crankshaft pulley. I dont want to do that unless I have to for the fan bracket. So to remove that will I need to remove the crankshaft pulley. It doesn't look like it overlaps with the bracket as much as I can tell.

The damn bracket cost me $270 after taxes. But if I can finish this myslef I will be saving almost $600 in labor.

Also is there any other maintenace I should do while I have my car half apart?

I just replaced my fan bracket a couple months ago after my car stalled out and died on me about 5 minutes from my apartment in downtown Houston. My 91 LS had 272,000 miles.

The fan bracket cost me $193 (tax included) and took me and a friend of mine two days to fix. We had to disconnect one of the A/C compressor lines in order to get the bottom right bolt (from top of engine) out of the fan bracket. There should also be a bolt at the bottom of the bracket that almost faces straight down. In order to get the two bolts loose all I used was a socket wrench, my foot, and my friend to hold the socket wrench in place. Once you get those two bolts out everything else just kinda falls into place. Just be sure you look and analyze before you try and remove anything.

Ok another question for you all.

I just replaced the bracket and put everything back together. The problem is when the car is running it is a little rougher than usual. The biger problem is when I step on the gas the car doesn't go faster than like 2 miles per hour. It has no power, I couldn't even make it up the hill outside my house. What could I have done wrong?

Could be your timing belt has moved a cog or 2. Looks like you might have to check this. The seizing of the fan bracket could have done this. Try checking your timing. Sorry you might have to pull it right down again. The lexlx.com site has a pictorial on this. Don't give up and just give it to a mechanic, once you've fixed it and its running perfect its a good feeling.

Could be your timing belt has moved a cog or 2. Looks like you might have to check this. The seizing of the fan bracket could have done this. Try checking your timing. Sorry you might have to pull it right down again. The lexlx.com site has a pictorial on this.

^LEXLS.COM

Well after much looking and I admit, getting a mechanics opinoin, the problem was located. The coil wire on the RH distributor was grounded out. Good thing they have reee estimates as I will replace the wires all at once.