Idle Issue With My '94 Ls

Ross W.

My '94 has been a wonderful car, and now that I've finished the tuneup I've already written about, it runs as good as the day I bought it. But one thing it's ALWAYS done, and no mechanic's been able to trace it, is when I put the car into Park, or when I turn the A/C on or off: the engine slows way down to almost zero rpm's, then slowly speeds up again. Replacing the upstream O2 sensors helped, as did the tuneup and thermostat replacement, and a few rounds of fuel injector cleaner. But it's still there. For what it's worth, my sister's '93 LS does exactly the same thing, only hers stalls while in drive coming to a stop or cycling the A/C. I'm thinking perhaps the IAC motor is sluggish or the passages to it are clogged, but after seeing how clean the throttle body is, I'm not so sure. No codes have been stored for this. TPS is within spec. Engine rpm's are about 100 rpm's low at idle.

Any ideas or thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Regards,

Ross

Before you spend a lot of money clean the Mass/Airflow Sensor.

http://www.lexls.com/sitemap/

This is the site on how to do it. Buy Electronics Parst cleaner to do so. Cleaning that IAC motor is not a bad Idea either, but do what I recommend above, which is not a very hard thing to do.

C. PR

My '94 has been a wonderful car, and now that I've finished the tuneup I've already written about, it runs as good as the day I bought it. But one thing it's ALWAYS done, and no mechanic's been able to trace it, is when I put the car into Park, or when I turn the A/C on or off: the engine slows way down to almost zero rpm's, then slowly speeds up again. Replacing the upstream O2 sensors helped, as did the tuneup and thermostat replacement, and a few rounds of fuel injector cleaner. But it's still there. For what it's worth, my sister's '93 LS does exactly the same thing, only hers stalls while in drive coming to a stop or cycling the A/C. I'm thinking perhaps the IAC motor is sluggish or the passages to it are clogged, but after seeing how clean the throttle body is, I'm not so sure. No codes have been stored for this. TPS is within spec. Engine rpm's are about 100 rpm's low at idle.

Regards,

Ross

This is the site on how to do it. Buy Electronics Parst cleaner to do so. Cleaning that IAC motor is not a bad Idea either, but do what I recommend above, which is not a very hard thing to do.

C. PR

Regards,

Ross

C. PR

No luck finding it. Which tutorial is it under? I've been on that site before, and I don't remember one about the airflow sensor. Throttle body yes. I fact I looked at mine yesterday and it's nowhere near as dirty as the one in the tutorial.

Man I dont know I never fixed it.. Might have my mechanic clean the MAF sensor.. Also bought some awesome rotors online... Zinc coating and slots and holes... Brimbo... So I am so excited to get them and take a picture! Cheers