No Power!

I have a 91 ES250 with 125,000 mi, and I have absolutely no power. I have checked all of the obvious culprits, timing, fuel pressure, flow, compression and computer codes. All check out. This is how bad it is, yesterday I got spanked by a beat up Nissan Sentra. My driveway is gravel and I can't even get the tires to spin from a stand still. I just replaced the transmission, it was a used one but I checked it out and it looked great. It was from a Wrecked Camry with 73,000 mi on the odometer. Here's one of the other problems, if I move the gear selector into 2 nothing happens. If I pull it into 1 it will shift into second gear. I checked the shift cable and there are no problems. The transmission shifts seamlessly, it goes through every gear. I had the same problem with the orignal transmission, but I thought that it was because the transmission was going bad. New trans same problem. I do have a theory although it may be flawed as I have no idea how the system works. I was reading the FSM for the transmission and it explains a system that retards the timing when the transmission shifts to make the shifts smoother. Is there a possibility that this system may be malfunctioning? I'm just looking for suggestions on what to look at next. I'm at a loss. Oh yea I forgot to mention that my fuel mileage is about 16 mpg on the highway. Please help before I have to shoot it. :cries:

Thanks,

Neil

Anything can happen, but I doubt it's a timing !Removed! issue during shifting. There is even a special code that will pop up if it tries to !Removed! ignition timing & it's not retarding. (I forget which one it is).

Just so we're all clear. 2nd position should engage 1st, or 2nd gear. Depending on which gear it is. L/1st will engage 1st gear & possibly 2nd if there is a shift solenoid malfunction.

The shift cable may be good, but maybe the contacts in the switch are bad, giving the ECU a bad signal? Just an idea.

Are you positive that you're getting every gear & that the torque convertor is engaging?

16mpg sounds like:

1) no overdrive gear, or no torque convertor lock-up

2) limp mode

3) injecting too much fuel when it shouldn't. i.e. something like a stuck open injector, or cold start injector that isn't turning off.

Check the cam timing itself. It can be way farther off than most people give credit for & the engine still run without bucking itself to death. Set the bottom end @ TDC & pope the valve covers (Ya, gotta do the rear too :'( I'd do the front bank first & go back to the rear bank after everything else is exhausted since you said ignitiong timing is OK) & check the cam timing.

Compressor was good. That's cool. It had a nice steady build of pressure right? Around 150-160psi+ on every cylinder right?

How is the o2 sensor? Put a multi-meter on it & check it's output while you drive around. Should be reading 0.45v. If it's reading higher than say .55 just driving around. You're running really rich.

You also get to see if the o2 sensor is causing the problem.