Taking Out The Ash Tray In A 96 Es 300

Hello, I have seen post on this before but they were not for a 96 ES 300, so I thought I would post the question myself. I need to take out the Ash tray in my 96 ES 300 because it is broke. The whole console is a frigen mess I might add. I just got this, and it needs a major fixing up job. The inside is a mess, the back leather seats are ripped (in one spot) and basically I just need to take aprt the whole inside to clean it. I need detailed instructions on how to take the ash tray out, but just a general idea of how to take the rest of the inside apart should be fine, as I could probably figure it out once I read some responces. Thanks for the help!

Okay; I can give you instructions on how to remove the ashtray, but I can't help with the rest of the console. Below the radio, you'll notice there's a piece of molding; remove this by opening the cupholder and pulling straight out on it. There are two screws behind it that hold the top part of the assembly in. By the way, in case you didn't know, the cupholders and ashtray are all one unit; you can't remove just the ashtray. Anyhow, now what you'll need to do is to remove the wood shroud around the shift lever. You can do this by sliding a flathead screwdriver under the bottom edge (near the parking brake) and gently prying it upwards. Once the bottom edge is up, hold it and pull backwards and it should come loose on the front side. Now you must remove the two screws that hold the bottom of the unit in. Once you've removed these, you should be able to pull the top of the unit down. Treat it as if it were hinged at the bottom. Once you have the top of it in view, there should be an electrical connector attached to it somewhere. Disconnect this, and the whole thing should come out. You may find once you've removed it that there's just a spring loose or something that's causing it not to work. Anyhow, hope it works out for ya.