Swordfish , U Out There?

thieaux

Hey swordfish, sorry to call u up this way , but i couldnt pm u , for some reason, well the point is , that im having the same problem as you do for the last year with no luck , i have no power after 4k rpm, no misses nothing ,have to let off the throtle for it to shift , is the exactly same prob as u , changed a bad distributor cap, i know that my cats are good, and other things that may cause this , well anyway , i hope that u have resolved ur situation and may share some info , with me .

Well anyway any type of info will be appreiated , thanks bro...

yes still got the problem, but the funniest thing- i thought i had it fixed the other day, was suddenly losing coolant, got my mechanic to pressure test cooling system, and foound the coolant reservoir cap was leaking.

The seal on the cap had gone hard and was starting to break up. Now i thought i had smelt a slight coolant leak for some time, but could not see anything. Heres my thought - the pressure ws not holding in the cooling system, the ecu sees the low pressure as a overheat or low coolant, and retards the ignition to stop engine damage.Any way, with a new cap the engine was definately feeling better, but now it gets to 5000rpm and doesnt want to go much further.If u persist it will go to 5500, and change up by itself, without lift off. the acid test is i have a very steep hill nearby,and full throttle acceleration up that in 1st gear usually shows up the problem,and its still there.It just goes sluggish after about 4000 ish. Im thinking it has to be something to do with sensor input to the ecu retarding the ignition..All the usual stuff , plugs, leads, caps rotors, timing belt and w/ pump has been replaced. Also new cats and exhaust. I have not checked or replaced the maf, coils or tps. No codes come up on engine scan, but i do have air bag light on.

any thoughts??

yes still got the problem, but the funniest thing- i thought i had it fixed the other day, was suddenly losing coolant, got my mechanic to pressure test cooling system, and foound the coolant reservoir cap was leaking.

The seal on the cap had gone hard and was starting to break up. Now i thought i had smelt a slight coolant leak for some time, but could not see anything. Heres my thought - the pressure ws not holding in the cooling system, the ecu sees the low pressure as a overheat or low coolant, and retards the ignition to stop engine damage.Any way, with a new cap the engine was definately feeling better, but now it gets to 5000rpm and doesnt want to go much further.If u persist it will go to 5500, and change up by itself, without lift off. the acid test is i have a very steep hill nearby,and full throttle acceleration up that in 1st gear usually shows up the problem,and its still there.It just goes sluggish after about 4000 ish. Im thinking it has to be something to do with sensor input to the ecu retarding the ignition..All the usual stuff , plugs, leads, caps rotors, timing belt and w/ pump has been replaced. Also new cats and exhaust. I have not checked or replaced the maf, coils or tps. No codes come up on engine scan, but i do have air bag light on.

any thoughts??

Can you race the engine to 4000-5000 rpm then it starts to stall or does it happen more the closer to that rpm range?

Possible you slipped a tooth on the timing belt?

have a malfunctioning in your fuel pump or filter?

Sowrdfish , i see a common denominator here im too loosing coolant , dont know where , i think i have blown head gasket, havent chang tghe tps nor coils, but i did replace a distributor cap . I dont think is a tps , cause i checked according to manual and its within specs, i dont get any mil , so i think it has to do something with the water pressure .... Ill keep checking on i t.

hi guys

no,timing belt is new,been rechecked twice, fuel filter new, and air cleaner. Engine revs ok till 4000ish and then goes sluggish, not missing, just labours and struggles to 5500 and changes up, now without having to lift off, since i changed the coolant reservoir cap!! yes i know sounds wierd, my theory is slight leak from cap was keeping coolant system pressure low, and ecu maybe retarding engine?? any way it is better but not good.

If u have watched video posted by cananda craig on his acceleration, mine is still slower than that.

Still looking for answers. any thoughts guys??

hey thieaux,

forgot to mention that one early find was that accessory belt had sliced thru the wiring harness to one camshaft position sensor, i was getting missfire under acceleration. Bad workmanship on my timng belt job. U might want to check all your wiring harnesses are intact.