Drive Belt Replacement

davidlou

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Drive belt frayed, so I am replacing it. My problem is it will not fit. I can pull the tensioner all the way loose, but the belt still looks 2 inches short. My question: should the belt be THAT tight? - or do I have a belt that is the wrong size? I noticed another member had the same problem with a gatorback belt, but theri was no resolution posted. I am going back to the parts store to compare the belt I bought with others in stock, but if someone could tell me that replacing the drive belt should be easy and that using the tensioner is all that needs to be done to get the belt back on. - '94 LS400

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Drive belt frayed, so I am replacing it. My problem is it will not fit. I can pull the tensioner all the way loose, but the belt still looks 2 inches short. My question: should the belt be THAT tight? - or do I have a belt that is the wrong size? I noticed another member had the same problem with a gatorback belt, but theri was no resolution posted. I am going back to the parts store to compare the belt I bought with others in stock, but if someone could tell me that replacing the drive belt should be easy and that using the tensioner is all that needs to be done to get the belt back on. - '94 LS400

David;

but if someone could tell me that replacing the drive belt should be easy and that using the tensioner is all that needs to be done to get the belt back on.

I suspect you have the wrong size. I wouldn't call replacing the serpentine belt difficult, but it is easier with a third hand. Yes, provided you have the belt routed correctly, the tensioner is the only "adjustment". The old belts are softer & more pliable, so they tend to stay where you put them moreso than the new, stiff belt.

but it is easier with a third hand.

wise words! :cheers: if you try and do the tension yourself then i'd route everything except the edge of the ac compressor ( route the bottom, may not be able to do the sides) turn the key, but don't start. this moves the belt. go back and check and see if everything is routed correctly. if not readjust and turn the key slightly again!

But it is easier with a third hand! also look for Dayco.