Starting Problems

I recently replaced the headgaskets on my 93 ES. Reassembled everything back to original location. When I started the car it ran at 1000 rpms for about 3 sec then it stalled. Thought maybe there was water in the gas or something so I tried starting the engine giving it gas. Basically when I did that it sputtered and stalled, it didn't idle for a few sec like when my foot was off of the gas.

I checked the vacuum hoses, all seem good. I checked the resistances at most of the connectors and all are within range. I did notice that I did not have the two groundstraps hooked to the IACV. I did not get a chance to connect them because it started raining. I don't know if this would have any affect to the problem I am having. Tommorrow I plan to connect the two ground straps correctly and install a new distributor cap and wires. If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in a direction I would appreciate it. Thanks

Still can't get engine to run without stalling. Took off Iac valve and egr cleaned both of them. Still nothing. Checked the afm and I think it might have an open circuit. Coul this be why my car is stalling or should I look into th fuel injectors or valve timing. Also can anyone tell me how to get a possible code off my car without the engine running? Thank you.

Check the timing first.

What is the voltage output of VS on the AFM?

Turn the key to on & push the AFM door open. You'll hear the fuel system turn on & the injectors open briefly as fuel flows back into the return line.

The AFm is definitely broke. Ihave a new one on the way. Also I replaced all the vacuum hoses and cleaned the throttle body IAC valve and EGR valve. Another problem though while I was replacing the vac hoses I broke the red VSV. Does anyone know where to get one? Besides that I checked the timing and the marks were like 6 teeth off. I don't know how that happened because when I put the tensioner on the marks were fine. Tommorrow I will fix the timing and install evevything. I'm going to need a new red VSV though.

Just to let y'all know. Finally got the car runnin.. Replaced the AFM first of all. Thought it was the timing but it wasn't. I guess when I disconnected the battery the the ECM activated some kind of anti-theft system because like I said I would try and start the car and it would die after a couple of seconds. My buddy who is a very experienced mechanic put me on to this idea. He told me to use my remote and lock the car then use it to unlock the car. I did as he said put the key in the ignition and prayed. The car started. So anyone having starting problems this is a simple and no cost first step. Hope it can help some of you. Later

The red vsv is the ACIS control. Without it the ACIS flap won't be told to shut @ 4000rpm & you'll be missing around 10bhp, maybe more. Past 4000rpm.

The ECU also advances timing at the same specification which is the "power boost" ACIS-1 through 3 systems feel @ about 4200rpm.

It's also a tiny vacuum leak. Tho not a big deal as the vacuum tank is a one way vacuum source.

I'm glad u got it running, good job! I never new 92-93 did that. I would almost swear they don't, as I trigger my car alarm about half the time I open the hood without using a key first hah!