Transmission Question

I have a 91 ES250 I am having to replace the transmission. I was wondering if there was any performance modifications that I could do while I have the transmission out of the vehicle. I used to drag race in the NHRA Pro Stock class. I raced a 74' Dodge Dart with a Tri-Power 340. It ran a low 12 second 1/4 mile. The reason that I am telling you this is to ask a question. There were modifications that I made to the TorqueFlite 727 transmission that entailed drilling a few small holes in the valve body plates to increase the line pressure and flow. You also stretched a couple of springs, anyway I just wanted to see if there was any modifications that I could do.

Thanks,

Neil

You can definately do a DIY valve body job. I'm on my third rebuild, and have yet to get happy with the results... If you can't figure it all out, I suggest shipping the valve body off to IPT. They have experiance with them & a great reputation.

They also built Tony's A541-E transmission. It handled 390whp well enough, seeing that he's off to ultra huge turbo lan now lol!

If you're just worried about transmission life, No biggie. Just add that second cooler, keep fresh oil in it & tighten that kick-down cable till it shifts like you want it. Assuming you're not gonna try to pass 250bhp+ on just a transmission cooler. I'd suggest a valve body mod for 280 & just letting IPT completely rebuild a new one by the time you're looking at 320+.

Then agian you may want the better shift quality of a valve body regardless of a bit extra holding power. In which case... Go for it!