Rx400h Steering Computer Replacement

I have the road crown, tugging steering wheel problem and probably should have my steering computer replaced as per the sevice bulletin.

The car has been abosolutely trouble free through 24,000 miles. Service from the dealer has not be trouble free. I am hesitiant to have major work done on the car. Has anyone had the computer replaced and how much of the car needed dismantling to do it?

Did it solve the road crown problem?

Ron

I have the road crown, tugging steering wheel problem and probably should have my steering computer replaced as per the sevice bulletin.

The car has been abosolutely trouble free through 24,000 miles. Service from the dealer has not be trouble free. I am hesitiant to have major work done on the car. Has anyone had the computer replaced and how much of the car needed dismantling to do it?

Did it solve the road crown problem?

Ron

Apparently the stearing controls, computer's POWER drivers, are somewhat subject to overheating with continuous and strenuous (lots of stearing deviations/inputs??) use. Your owners manual indicates that should that happen the system will continue to operate but in a degraded/derated manner.

Apparently, to that end, in an effort to belay or delay overheating, as long as no stearing wheel origined stearing commands are present the power drivers remain at "idle", no "torqueing" current whatsoever to hold the front wheels in "place". Apparently in commiting to this design aspect they forgot or overlooked the possibility that outside forces might be in play forcing the front wheels offcenter or out of "set".

So I would suspect that now that the engineers have experienced the REAL WORLD of automotive engineering the cooling capability is being "beefed" up along with the ability for the power drivers to maintain "centre-point" torque.

Thus an entire change out of the module rather than a simple firmware upgrade.