Wheels, Rims, Tires. I Know Nothing

tmhtmh

My '99 RX300 has Rx330 wheels/tires... factory OEM chromes, and they ride and drive superbly. They are still smooth and quiet on the roadway, but give a little more spirited maneuvering ability. Here's a pic for reference.

As for the unsprung weight discussion, there is actually a lot to the concept of unsprung weight. The lighter the wheel, the less the gyroscopic effect when it's spinning, meaning more responsive and nimble steering. Plus there is less momentum for braking/accelerating to have to overcome with lighter weight. You also have less reciprocating mass for the suspension to deal with over rough roadway.

Conversely, heavier wheels give a smoother ride, feel more stable at speed (the gyro effect kicking in there), and they reduce the vibrations from the roadway (addition mass reduces vibrations, basic physics). It's a totally pros verses cons thing.... it's what you want out of the thing.

I have to admit, when I saw TunedRX300 running SSRs at a 10 pound weight savings at each wheel I get that tingle of "ohh, that's a difference you can feel"... but then I'm a bit of a gear head and always looking for a performance advantage. For the daily driver, it may not mean much to them. Plus, this is a big ol' crossover SUV thing based on a Camry... not a vehicle that tops my list for modifying to get a performance advantage.

post-34901-1212001521_thumb.jpg