Gaskets, Seals, And Timing, Help!

I have a 1996 Lexus ES300 with 175,000 miles. I am trying to avoid paying the Lexus dealer nearly $3,000 for the following items: Timing belt ($700.00), rear main seal ($1,500), Valve cover gaskets ($600.00). They also said it is due for "Major Service" and want $650.00 to do the service.

My question is if it is feasible to make it a DIY project. I am getting more familiar with this engine as thing come up but wanted some advice before trying to tackle the above projects.

I have a 1996 Lexus ES300 with 175,000 miles. I am trying to avoid paying the Lexus dealer nearly $3,000 for the following items: Timing belt ($700.00), rear main seal ($1,500), Valve cover gaskets ($600.00). They also said it is due for "Major Service" and want $650.00 to do the service.

My question is if it is feasible to make it a DIY project. I am getting more familiar with this engine as thing come up but wanted some advice before trying to tackle the above projects.

Don't let the Lexus dealer charge you that to do your major service. Sure, it most likely is due (or overdue for those things), but that is almost the value of the car! Get some quotes on the same services from your local Toyota dealer. Not only do they know the 1MZ-FE engine, but their labor rate might be half that of the Lexus dealer's. Also, you could call an indy mechanic, if there are any Toyota mechanics in your area that you know of and trust. Unfortunately, a timing belt is a pretty complicated job, which I would sooner leave to the pros. A rear main seal is a much more complicated job, and you would be in over your head if you tried to do it yourself. Go quote searching, and see what else you can come up with. :cheers:

Save $$ by having the work done at a Toyota dealer. Mechanically a ES = a Camry. If the rear main seal isn't leaking bad you could ignore it for several more months, even years. It's never going to catastrophically leak, but will tend to get progrssively worse over time.

Anyone with mechanical knowledge, or the will & ability to follow directions, with basic tools can change a valve cover & timing belt if they had to. Along with do that extra special "major service".

The rear main seal? No... Trust me when I said it is far beyond what most people can accomplish. Download that '94 Camry repair manual & have a look for yourself.

I say go pay your $625 at a Toyota dealer instead of buying anything at Lexus.