Power Steering Fluid Leak

justintime

There are literally hours and hours of material you can read about this topic in the archives. Basically you need to clean the clogged steering rack solenoid filter screen to ease the high fluid pressures that are causing or are contributing to the leak. Then if the leak continues you'll likely need to either dismantle the power steering pump and install new 0-ring seals using a Lexus reseal kit or else buy a rebuilt pump from Autozone or a new pump from a Lexus dealer or from ebay. Be sure to replace the air control valve that's attached to the pump at the same time. Don't delay fixing the leak or else you could soon be stranded when because the fluid leaks down onto the alternator, shorting it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am leaking power steering fluid in my 1991 LS400. Any advice and examples (including pictures) on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

I had pretty much the same problem in the 95 LS400 I just got a few weeks ago (my first Lexus). My high preasure power steering line has been sweating fluid. The power steering pump is not leaking yet. Thanks to all the info I found here I learned that I need to get after that power steering solenoid and the little filter within it .... AND .... I better get after it FAST. Sure enough ... just like they said .... it was full of junk and needed to be cleaned really good. I took the filter off and reinstalled the solenoid .... then flushed the system ... took the solenoid back off again and reinstalled the filter .... refilled the system, purged the air from the system and everything works great! My steering felt ok before I did all of this ..... it feels the same now that I am finished ... but now I have peace of mind as I drive along knowing that certain disaster has been averted.

By the way ... the solenoid filter is just a fragile as they say here ... ya really gotta be careful with that thing ....

I have been digging into this car in the short time I have had it and I am not surprised to find that this service was needed for my car .... the guy who had it before me shelled out big bucks to have the dealer do the 90,000 service, however I found simple things to be neglected. Like the air filter must have been 5 years old! It was one of the worst I have ever seen. My car actually starts faster now with the new filter installed and you can feel the difference in performance ... it is slight ... but noticelable. The cabin air filter is an easy thing to get to ... and it has not been changed in what looks like a century. However other much more difficult chores were obviously done .........

Sure is a sweet ride!

Well .... anyways ... thank God for this web site!!!!!! Threadcutter and all you guys ... THANKS!!!!!!!

:cheers:

Power steering pump leaks are extremely common on the 1st generation LS400's.

Like monarch said, search this site for many topics on this. Also- get repaired ASAP, because it can indeed short our your alternator. I have even seen it cause fires on these cars. :cries:

Good luck!