Harmonic Balancer Came Apart!

914lps

If you saw my post of

"No Start. No Spark No Fuel. Cranks Odd?, What killed my 91 LS 400"

We now now the truth. Got the car taken apart and found out that the Harmonic Balancer came apart. When it came apart the friction between the iner and out halfs got things so hot that it melted the plastic on the Crank Positon Sensor. The sensor then fell of killing the engine.

It was not putting off the TB and water pump. In fact if I had done it last month like I planded I would be real mad now as I would be redoing a lot of the work.

I will now do TB etc., and car will be fine.... Until something ells....

When we pulled the radeator it looked like.. Well it looked real dirty in there... Boy was there ever a lot of trash, sticks trwigs, feathers, and just dirt! Any ideas on keeping that stuff out????

914lps, glad to hear that it was the CPS after all. What's surprising is that when a balancer breaks apart it's usually very noticeable and there would be much sound coming from the engine especailly when it starts hitting stuff.

914lps, glad to hear that it was the CPS after all. What's surprising is that when a balancer breaks apart it's usually very noticeable and there would be much sound coming from the engine especailly when it starts hitting stuff.

The onlyu part that "came off" was the sensor and that was still hanging by the wire. The balancer never came off. The iner and outer parts seperated, but stayed in place. So, the iner part just spun free. There was no strange noise. We had no clue till we opened things up, and founf the sensor loose, then whent to pull the cover with the timing marks on it off. We then found that the balancer came apart.