Switching From Gx 470 To Lx ...

mitchturk

Hi,

I am just about to move from a GX470 to an LX470 (don't ask ... just can't stand the clunking). I would really appreciate some advice:

a) The GX 470 is a 2004 Model.

B) The LX 470 would be a 2003 Model. About the same # kilometers

I would appreciate if you could provide comments:

i) Is there anything on my GX that I would not get on the LX?

ii) Comments on pros/cons of both models?

iii) Will I be happy - in your opinion? :)

I use the truck to go to the cottage and for work. A pertty average driver. Of course, I am concerned about going back a model year and want to make sure it is not a mistake.

Finally, how is the stereo on the 2003 LX

Thanks. Peter

Hi,

I am just about to move from a GX470 to an LX470 (don't ask ... just can't stand the clunking). I would really appreciate some advice:

a) The GX 470 is a 2004 Model.

B) The LX 470 would be a 2003 Model. About the same # kilometers

I would appreciate if you could provide comments:

i) Is there anything on my GX that I would not get on the LX?

ii) Comments on pros/cons of both models?

iii) Will I be happy - in your opinion? :)

I use the truck to go to the cottage and for work. A pertty average driver. Of course, I am concerned about going back a model year and want to make sure it is not a mistake.

Finally, how is the stereo on the 2003 LX

Thanks. Peter

i) No backup camera in the '03 LX ('04 has it)

ii) - LX doesn't clunk

- no steering vibrations common w/ the Gx and V8 Runner

- more space (GX feels tight, seems top-heavy)

- no KDSS option. LX has auto height control and damping control

- rear DVD entertainment was an option that maybe came on 20% of the LX's. There are two types (flip down screen in the center ceiling of the 2nd row is factory; screens in the back of the front seat headrests are added by a 3rd party the dealer contracts to. The latter is better for viewing and doesn't obscure your view as much, but it also means someone fiddled w/ the electronics on the car, as it's not factory).

- mechanical stuff: '03 LX uses type IV transmission fluid (so you could use synthetics like Amsoil) while '04+ uses world standard [only sold by Toyota/Lexus]; '03 has transmission fluid dipstick in engine compartment while '04 LX/GX eliminated this [you have to remove a bolt on the side of the drainpan and stick your finger in...a PITA); '03 LX has larger driveshafts than GX or pre '03 LX/LC, much heavier frame/suspension than GX. The GX chassis/engine is identical to the V8 4runner and assembled at the same Toyota Tahara plant. All Japanese-made LC's/LX's from the mid 1950's to '05 were assembled by Araco Industries, a subsidiary of Toyota and maker of high-end custom coaches. Finally, the 5spd tranny on the 4runner V8 (and probably GX) use aluminum instead of steel planetary gears, saving 200 lbs weight...but you can guess which is probably more durable).

iii) don't know, it's up to you

iv) Mark Levinson was a $4K option that came on most LX's after '02. The middle front door speakers will have a chromed "Mark Levinson" badge on it if it has this option.

You can get more aftermarket stuff for the LX/LC since that model has been out since '98 w/ minor changes.

Jim,

Thank you for the detailed update. Great report. It is pretty much as I imagined.

One last question, if you know. Is the Nav Touch screen on the 2003 LX ... and ... is it comparable to the touch screen that I likely have on the GX? I use this feature frequently and would regret going to an older version of the Nav technology.

Blue tooth is not an issue for me and it is not on my GX 470. I don't have the KDSS either, but apart from that I have it fully loaded. In Canada, the 2004 GX upgrade came with the Nav/Stereo/DVD etc ... nice and simple.

Losing the rear view camera would actually be a pain. These should be mandatory on all SUVS.

I'm definately considering the LX as the clunk in the GX is drives one crazy.

Thanks again. Cheers. Peter :P :) :P

Hi Mitch. I know how annoying issues like clunking, etc. can be. The touch screen on the 2003 LX is very similiar to the GX you are using now. However let me warn you. Before you buy the LX, make sure you have PLENTY of test time. Drive it as much as possible before buying. You may end up trading one problem (clunking) for another (vibrations). Even though GXs and 4Runners are known for vibrations I have found far more in the LXs. I have had 2 4Runners. One a 2004 Sport V8 4x4 and a 2006 Limited V8 4x4. Neither had a clunk or vibration but the seats bothered me. So I traded the 06 in for a 2003 LX470. WOW...seats are so much better...but wait! I have an intermittent vibration that the dealer cannot fix...plus they say it is a "normal" characteristic of this vehicle...which I find hard to believe. However I have driven many LXs as of late and most demonstrate the vibration. Even on Michelin Pilot LTX tires, after multiple types of balancing the vibration remains. I have had clunks in vehicles before and let me tell you it is far better than a non stop vibration. I won't even take road trips in my LX because of it. My LX is in the shop for the 4th time for this same issue. I haven't even put 1500 miles on it since I bought it.

I don't want to scare you off of an LX470 because they are extremely nice vehicles. Personally I cannot think of another SUV that is more reliable and yet still provides the level of refinement that the LX does. Just make sure you test drive on different roads and also make sure they let you test it cold. If at first you notice a bouncing effect it may be flat spots on the tires from sitting on the lot. This is quite normal. Good luck with your decision!

When you test drive the vehicle, try to get it up to freeway speed or as close as you can (I could only get mine up to 60mph on surface streets on the test drive). If you let go of the wheel, the vehicle should track pretty straight. I've had my rig up to 65mph on the freeway so far, and no vibrations. Here's a link about differences in the LX over the years...

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

The first time I looked at the vehicle I ended up buying, I popped the hood, checked the fluid condition (see if the coolant is bright red & not murky, check if AHC and brake fluids are clear/tan and not brown/dark), check underneath to see if bolts/nuts are shiny or rusty, etc. I got mine certified, so it does give you peace of mind since my local dealer serviced that vehicle its entire life, and they tend to over-maintain them (called their service dept and asked them what maintenance they perform at difference mileage intervals). You can have any Lexus dealer download the service records, plus they can tell you where it was purchased, any work done on the vehicle by Lexus, etc. This saves lots of time, especially when shopping for an out-of-state vehicle. BTW, I only buy used vehicles that spent their entire lives in the Southwestern states (namely So. CA, NV, AZ). Anywhere else, and you risk severe weather (golf-ball sized hail; windshield might have been replaced w/ a non-OEM one [Lexus glass is thicker]) or salted roads. Hope this helps.

Oh, yeah, the dvd nav is generation 3 (or gen 2-3). Everything from '04+ is gen-4 except the new IS is gen-5. It takes at least 2 yrs from the time new roads are built until they are surveyed and incorporated into a nav update, but even gen-2 dvd's have like 99% of the streets in urban areas.