1995 Sc400 Worth It?

jsyjordan

I'm looking into getting a 1995 sc400 a dark green/blue color. It has 77k miles on it and i talked the guy into selling it for 8,000. I think it's a pretty good deal. He was the second owner. The car was driven pretty hard tho..because i can tell they've gone over speed bumps really quick and the plastic under the car is hanging. There are some minor oil leaks too. So i'm not sure if i should get this car. Everything else is great with some normal wear and tear on the exterior. I'm worried because...it was driven hard. Should i take it to the mechanic and have it throughly checked out?

PS does anyone know how long it takes to get a loan from the bank? i don't have the cash right now lol

I'm a total newbie when it comes to buying cars, this is off a guy not a dealership

the plastic cover hanging is normal. its a wear and tear item because when you take it off and put it back on mainly during maintenance the mounting holes break through. as for your loan, if you get approved on the spot then the check is cut then and there

You should have the car given a certification check by a lexus dealer for approx. $90. They will also run the lexus service history for you. Find out if the timing belt was changed ($1200 service usually at 90,000mi). Also run the carfax history on the car and take a good test drive. Check Ebay, yahoo used cars, carsonline etc. to see what is available to compare prices. Don't get in over your head as repairs can be costly. Check the threads for common problems such as power steering leaks which start at AROUND 75,000 MI. IF THAT IS WHAT IS LEAKING ON THIS CAR YOU WILL NEED A NEW OR REBUILT PUMP AND POSSIBLY HOSES. LET THE PROFESSIONALS LOOK IT OVER.

Try finding a SC300, the motors are better built since there is not as much packed in the same size engine compartment. It's the same car all the way around, just not as fast. Also, people tend to buy the V8's so they can run them harder.

The ACs suck from 92 - 95. In 96 Lexus made some changes that help, but you're looking at a big bill if you need a new system.

If you don't have a good, independent mechanic, the dealerships will kill you with repairs. SCdriver is right on with the costs.