Ipod Connection Help

I posted this in another forum, but didn't get any replies...hoping someone here can help. I did read the other posts about iPods, but they didn't answer my question.

I just had a H-K Drive & Play unit for my IPod installed in my RX400h. It's very very cool and works great except that I hate the FM radio connection. Even wired to my antenna, it sucks. The installer at Circuit City told me that I need an adapter to be able to connect it directly to the sound system. Anyone know what this part is or where to get it? I called the parts guy at my dealer and he was clueless.

Any help? I read some discussions on this forum about iPod installation and nothing specific about the correct part that can be bought separately.

Thanks!

I posted this in another forum, but didn't get any replies...hoping someone here can help. I did read the other posts about iPods, but they didn't answer my question.

I just had a H-K Drive & Play unit for my IPod installed in my RX400h. It's very very cool and works great except that I hate the FM radio connection. Even wired to my antenna, it sucks. The installer at Circuit City told me that I need an adapter to be able to connect it directly to the sound system. Anyone know what this part is or where to get it? I called the parts guy at my dealer and he was clueless.

Any help? I read some discussions on this forum about iPod installation and nothing specific about the correct part that can be bought separately.

Thanks!

Your only hope lies with the manufacturer of your adapter... If they don't offer an adapter for the RX then you are stuck with the FM transmission path. There is a slim possiblity that you could rewire the output of your unit yourself, if you could get one of the connectors that fits into the back of he headunit. Perhaps one the suppliers below may be willing to furnish you with one... it doesn't hurt to ask.

There has been much discussion on this board and others about the significatn difference in sound quality between the direct connect type units and the tape/FM type units. There differnence is night and day.

The only direct connect offered for the RX is from viastech.com. There is also a Denso one, but I could not verify that it would work with the RX. when I get my VAIS in the mail, I'll look to see if the connector is a 3rd party item or is made by VAIS.

If you can still get a refund on the unit, I would persue that option. Tell them you are not satified with the quality. They may stick you with the labor tho... Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

I think I found what I need, it's made by VAIS and it's an adapter with RCA cables on one end and a plug into the ML stereo on the other end.

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-175-118-lex...erface-new.aspx

It costs $269. A bit steep, considering I'm already in for about $350, but I love this H-K unit so much, I'm already committed. The Circuit City guys said they would install it for free.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I found what I need, it's made by VAIS and it's an adapter with RCA cables on one end and a plug into the ML stereo on the other end.

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-175-118-lex...erface-new.aspx

It costs $269. A bit steep, considering I'm already in for about $350, but I love this H-K unit so much, I'm already committed. The Circuit City guys said they would install it for free.

The unit you mention is the same one I have on order from VAIS, and with that unit you will not need the FM one you purchased from Circuit City... it does the whole thing. I doubt that you can simply just use the unit as a connector without some rewiring.

I would warn you that the company that is selling the unit may be selling an older version of the ROM Flash and may not be including all the cables you need for the $269 price. I would pay the extra $30 and get it directly from VAIS. I would also get my $350 back on the FM unit (let go of your attachments, grasshopper). If CS is willing to remove the FM and install the VAIS then that would be the best outcome.

Good Luck

The unit you mention is the same one I have on order from VAIS, and with that unit you will not need the FM one you purchased from Circuit City... it does the whole thing. I doubt that you can simply just use the unit as a connector without some rewiring.

I would warn you that the company that is selling the unit may be selling an older version of the ROM Flash and may not be including all the cables you need for the $269 price. I would pay the extra $30 and get it directly from VAIS. I would also get my $350 back on the FM unit (let go of your attachments, grasshopper). If CS is willing to remove the FM and install the VAIS then that would be the best outcome.

Good Luck

I did consider returning the Drive & Play for the whole VAIS unit, but alas, I love this thing (can't let go...). It's so cool, and the beauty of it is that it works just like my iPod; the little controller has a wheel that has all the same functions as my iPod.

Of course now I'm paying $200 (plus the $150 install, but I'd be paying that either way) plus $269, when I could just pay $299 for the VAIS, but I did some reading and I don't think I'd be happy with the interface of the VAIS unit. I read that it doesn't allow all of the iPod features like shuffle and playing all songs from one artist, etc. And I don't like the idea of the text being on the radio screen, it's not enough information in one glance. The D&P display that's mounted on my dash is in a perfect sight line when driving and gives me the artist, track name, track #, and elapsed track time.

So...I'm spending a lot of money but I think it will be worth it when it's all installed correctly.