Help! Odometer Died! Questions

Hello all.. New to the Lexus Owners Club forums. I have a quick question on my odometer. I have a 2002 ES300, just over 51,000 miles (its out of warranty). Well, my guage cluster's odometer reading has lost some of it's LEDs. I have asked my local dealer if this was a common issue, and the service advisor said no. I asked this because I found another odometer at a junk yard that has 49,652 miles on it, and is apparently in perfect working order. The guy wants $350 for it. I asked him to send me a pic, and he sent one that showed the actual mileage on the odometer. I guess he had it hooked up to a car because it looked like a dash, but there was no steering wheel.

I am concerned because this is the closest match I could find, and I DON'T want to have a mis-matched mileage reading. I have a few questions....

If I get the new cluster, can it be programed to work on my car? Wouldn't the computer in the car just put the right mileage on it? If not, can you somehow tell the car's computer to replace the mileage on the odometer with the correct mileage?

Please help. I can't stand for this stupid LED/LCD to not be working properly. It bugs me, and I am afraid I won't be able to find a replacement or figure out how to maintain my original mileage reading.

Thank you!

Hello all.. New to the Lexus Owners Club forums. I have a quick question on my odometer. I have a 2002 ES300, just over 51,000 miles (its out of warranty). Well, my guage cluster's odometer reading has lost some of it's LEDs. I have asked my local dealer if this was a common issue, and the service advisor said no. I asked this because I found another odometer at a junk yard that has 49,652 miles on it, and is apparently in perfect working order. The guy wants $350 for it. I asked him to send me a pic, and he sent one that showed the actual mileage on the odometer. I guess he had it hooked up to a car because it looked like a dash, but there was no steering wheel.

I am concerned because this is the closest match I could find, and I DON'T want to have a mis-matched mileage reading. I have a few questions....

If I get the new cluster, can it be programed to work on my car? Wouldn't the computer in the car just put the right mileage on it? If not, can you somehow tell the car's computer to replace the mileage on the odometer with the correct mileage?

Please help. I can't stand for this stupid LED/LCD to not be working properly. It bugs me, and I am afraid I won't be able to find a replacement or figure out how to maintain my original mileage reading.

Thank you!

Have you taken the cluster out of the dash yet? I beleive all you need is the display, Switch it out and the milage will stay the same. I haven't been inside of a 98 cluster but if I recall the display is seperate from the odo memory.

Don't know about the 2002 ES, but the gen 1 & 2 ES300s the LED panel is separate from the chip that stores the mileage. (i.e. it IS possible to swap LED panels w/o losing your actual mileage.)

Thanx, That is what I thought. Go ahead with your project.