Controlling Rear Entertainment System From Front

TexasGX470

Almost 2 years ago, I purchased a 2004 GX470 for my wife prior to the arrival of our first child. (In response to another post in the forums, the 3rd seat was an option in 2004 but your couldn't get the rear entertainment system without it so now I have 2 jump seats in my garage ;) )

Ok, I have 2 questions that I hope someone can answer:

1) Almost everytime she drives the car with my son in the back, he wants the DVD playing. Can someone tell me the easiest way to start the rear DVD from the front screen? Generally, we press the "Disc" button to start the movie, but the next step is annoying. We have yet to find a way to turn on the screen and get rid of the "warning window" on the rear screen without having to point the remote control at the rear screen and pressing "DVD" to power the screen and "Ok" to make the "warning window" disappear. Surely there is a way to do all of this from the front screen, correct?

2) I understand that it's possible to view the DVD on the front screen if the car is in Park. How is this accomplished?

Thanks for any and all help!

Almost 2 years ago, I purchased a 2004 GX470 for my wife prior to the arrival of our first child. (In response to another post in the forums, the 3rd seat was an option in 2004 but your couldn't get the rear entertainment system without it so now I have 2 jump seats in my garage ;) )

1) Almost everytime she drives the car with my son in the back, he wants the DVD playing. Can someone tell me the easiest way to start the rear DVD from the front screen? Generally, we press the "Disc" button to start the movie, but the next step is annoying. We have yet to find a way to turn on the screen and get rid of the "warning window" on the rear screen without having to point the remote control at the rear screen and pressing "DVD" to power the screen and "Ok" to make the "warning window" disappear. Surely there is a way to do all of this from the front screen, correct?

2) I understand that it's possible to view the DVD on the front screen if the car is in Park. How is this accomplished?

Hi Texas,

I'll start with question #2.

You'll have to have the GX completely stopped and you'll need to pull the PARKING brake!!! And then if the video still doesn't display keep hitting the "disc" button or your radio it'll cycle from CD to DVD and then the video will display, this is true for OEM units from Toyota, not sure if the dealer installed OPTIONS like AUDIOVOX will work this way...

Question #1.

When I find out, I'll let you know!!! :) Had quite a bit of time with this one myself but my 7 year old has it pretty much all figured out... :)

Good Luck!

-Alex

You'll have to have the GX completely stopped and you'll need to pull the PARKING brake!!!

Insane. It never occurred to me that the system would require the parking brake to be engaged.

Question #1.

When I find out, I'll let you know!!! :) Had quite a bit of time with this one myself but my 7 year old has it pretty much all figured out... :)

Thanks. I've accepted that the system was poorly configured. Now, I'm searching for a software workaround.

I appreciate the help.

I believe you can simply press the OK with your finger. The front screen is touch screen after all. :)

To get the display on the front screen, simply click the Disk button on the tape deck to cycle through the different inputs. You must have parking brakes up to get DVD on the front display.

GX is the wife's car but I seem to recall being able to get rid of the OK from the front screen without using the remote.

hi texas, yes you can control the dvd from the front screen but the car has to be in Park and the emergency hand brake pulled up/engaged. you can control it using from the dash by pressing "DISC" which switches you from CD to DVD or by pressing the "MODE" on the steering wheel. you should be hearing the soundtrack at this time...then press the "PICTURE" button on the fron screen, then the ok on the hint screen. touch the screen for the touch screen control then hide keys to make the controls go away. i hope this was helpful.

:)