Rx300 Complete Sound System Overhaul

crew

Hello All!

I have been working on my 1999 Rx300 Slowly over about the past 2 months and would like to share a few pictures of the progress. I am a college student so I really only get to work on it on the weekends when I get a chance to go home. Please remember that I by no means claim to be an expert, or would ever claim that any of the work I have done is anywhere near perfection. I am simply an avid car audio do-it-yourselfer. Anyone who knows how the RX300's center console looks factory will see how much work really had to be done. Just about all fabrication of trim panels were made using the "frame" of existing trim panels and then built up with fiberglass strand bondo, then bondo ultimate, then sanded for countless hours. Just about everything is a work in progress, with myself never being satisfied. I updated the entire sound system first with a Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD/CD double din head unit, then with two sets of JL Audio XR series components. For the front set of components I managed to squeeze them into the stock location on the dash for a really clean look. I also built a custom subwoofer box for three JL Audio 12w3v2's and 2 JL Audio amps and a soon to be hidden Sony X-Plod amp. Please take a look and feel free to give any feedback, good or....well you know. Thanks

post-22808-1137147908_thumb.jpg

post-22808-1137147934_thumb.jpg

You did a great job! I have been trying to figure out a way to integrate a nav system and aux input into my 99 rx300 and it is basically impossible unless you go to the extreme like you did. Do you happen to know the model number of the CD changer that is in the glovebox? I am assuming it is Pioneer. If so, I am hoping this interface adapter might work as an AUX input for MP3s. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uXCc3HzuMmr/c...asp?i=130CDRB10

Thanks

Nice job man, looks great. I'm just getting my 2000 RX tomorrow and am looking at what to do about the stock stereo (one of the few things I don't like about the Lex). Any advice on how to improve the sound quality/bass on a low budget?

man, did you get any studying done??? hahaha...looks good! you got a big ol' speaker box in the back! i bet that pounds when your crank it

Hello All!

I have been working on my 1999 Rx300 Slowly over about the past 2 months and would like to share a few pictures of the progress. I am a college student so I really only get to work on it on the weekends when I get a chance to go home. Please remember that I by no means claim to be an expert, or would ever claim that any of the work I have done is anywhere near perfection. I am simply an avid car audio do-it-yourselfer. Anyone who knows how the RX300's center console looks factory will see how much work really had to be done. Just about all fabrication of trim panels were made using the "frame" of existing trim panels and then built up with fiberglass strand bondo, then bondo ultimate, then sanded for countless hours. Just about everything is a work in progress, with myself never being satisfied. I updated the entire sound system first with a Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD/CD double din head unit, then with two sets of JL Audio XR series components. For the front set of components I managed to squeeze them into the stock location on the dash for a really clean look. I also built a custom subwoofer box for three JL Audio 12w3v2's and 2 JL Audio amps and a soon to be hidden Sony X-Plod amp. Please take a look and feel free to give any feedback, good or....well you know. Thanks

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments.

'99RX300- Unfourtunately, I dont believe that the adapter you are looking at will work. I had that exact same adapter in my last vehicle, I really only works with the "after market" head units that pioneer makes. I believe that the connector on the back of the CD changer is different. I'm not a hundred percent sure on that one, as I have not had the CD changer out...yet. That is the future location of the Kenwood navigation unit that I plan on installing. So I will have to get back to you on that one. I can tell you that connector is nowhere to be found on the back of the stock stereo of the RX with the Pioneer stock system. Hope this helps.

liqrsicc- After having first hand experience of how much work it really is to do, I would have to say that price really is fair. The price is not so much in the materials, but in the countless hours of sanding! Good luck.

BrandonF- Good choice of vehicles. I love mine, only having had it for a few months. As far as a system goes on a limited budget, I'd say just get yourself some subs and leave the stock system alone for the mids and highs. Two things to consider when shopping around, be sure to get an Amp with a remote bass knob, so you have a quick way to adjust ONLY your bass and not lose the "lows" that you would trying to control it through the stock stereo. As far a getting a signal to the amp, just get yourself a good line level converter, which splices into door speaker wires and gives you an RCA output for the amp. Also consider buying cheap "Bass Blockers" which go inline to your + speaker wire and essentially block all low frequencies that your subs should be playing. This will allow you to turn your stereo up loud, without the distortion that occurs when your door speakers try to play bass. Any stereo shop could do this for you easily at a reasonable price.

strmrdr23- In all seriousness, It pounds like you wouldn't believe! ; )

• 2 weeks later...

Desperately seeking your help....

I have been searching for 10 months to find a way to get aftermarket navigation into my Rx300. I love what you have done with your car, in fact it is much of the concept that I was coming up with. Was wondering if you could take the time to let me know what you went through to come out with such a great end result just for the navigation system. I would love to do the same. Also, is that kit around the screen something you made or something you could buy for another vehicle that would fit the RX? Please let me know. Much appreciated...Ryan.

Rexus01-

The site is not allowing me to PM currently for some reason. Please get in touch with me through e-mail crew_f@hotmail.com and I will try and answer any questions you have. I also have quite a few pictures I could share. It is quite a task to complete, but it is worth it in the end!

Crew

• 2 weeks later...

Great job. Terrific mod. And, all I want is a radio! My cd player still works, but the AM and FM portion of the radio does not emit sound, so I need to replace the sandlewood colored Nakamichi console. Would anyone have one? I would prefer a Nakamichi rather than a Fujitu Ten.

Thanks,

cm

you can probably just replace the "brain" part of the radio. once you remove the center console, it unscrews with just four screws. Ask your local lexus dealer about the part. then you wont have to replace the entire console, wich would be very expensive! good luck, send me an email at crew_f@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

check this post i just made for directions on how to get to it:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=13390