When To Replace Suspension?

i have 96K miles on my stock '99 gs3 suspension. does anyone know when they are supposed to be replaced?

Push the front on the car up and down. If the car bounce back up 1-2 times, it still good. If more than that then you should change the struts. My gs400 is 00 and I just recently changed the struts to kyb. Oh yeah I have 40k miles on the car.

Push the front on the car up and down. If the car bounce back up 1-2 times, it still good. If more than that then you should change the struts. My gs400 is 00 and I just recently changed the struts to kyb. Oh yeah I have 40k miles on the car.

Did you do the install yourself and if so, was it a hard job to do at all? What was your overall cost?

I was thinking of going with KYB also, do you like/dislike?

Thanks in advance for any info!

IMHO the bounce test tells you virtually nothing about the condition of the shocks/struts. Many cars pass the test and still have worn or completely blown out shock absorbers. I've seen it in my shop more than a few times.

With 100K miles on the car, it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace the shock absorbers. While the suspension is disassembled to do that, it's an excellent time to inspect and/or replace the front lower ball joints. All the bushings in the suspension should also be checked for cracking, wear, and deformation as well.

I replaced the front shock absorbers and lower ball joints on my 1998 with 65K miles on the odometer. The shocks were both totally blown out and one was leaking fluid. I just did the rears at 98K miles and was suprised to find that they were virtually new. They got replaced with KYB GR2's anyway, just to match the fronts.

It can be done by the average mechanic provided you have a torque wrench (and abide by the recommended torques) and also have a strut spring compressor. Compressing the springs is dangerous if you do not have the knowledge and experience to do it correctly. Whenever the suspension is serviced the car should have a wheel alignment when the work is complete. This is particularly true for the rear suspension since one of the alignment adjusting cams must be removed to drop the lower control arm to remove the shock absorber.