Replace Rear Rotors

mdoan

I want to replace the rear rotors and pads for my 2002 IS300 ....

I took off the calipers ..but couldnt get the rotors off....there is a BIG nut in the center ...

Can someone please tell me what size for the socket do I need in order to remove the center hub nut?

Thank you ...

Hmmmm......generally your rotors are held on buy the wheel studs & lugs. Try spraying some WD40 or other penetrating oil around the studs and letting it sit a bit. Then using a rubber mallet or piece of wood and a steel hammer knock the rotor around the edges to pop it loose. If you are replacing the rotros don't worry about the block of wood just whack the rotor.

are you sure the rotor is not being held inplace by the center hub???

my 97 avalon front rotors came right out (just like you said) after I removed the lugs and the caliper...

Hmmmm......generally your rotors are held on buy the wheel studs & lugs. Try spraying some WD40 or other penetrating oil around the studs and letting it sit a bit. Then using a rubber mallet or piece of wood and a steel hammer knock the rotor around the edges to pop it loose. If you are replacing the rotros don't worry about the block of wood just whack the rotor.

While I am not 100% positive, there is a very easy way to check. I'm assuming since you tried to take off the old rotor you already have a new one. Look at the center hole of the new rotor, if there is no lip for the nut to catch on, it can't be held on by the nut. I would be very surprized if the rotor was held on by a large single nut. Single nut wheel applications are generally reserved for quick change race situations.

Also, don't forget to change pads if you're swapping out rotors.

While I've never done pads on an IS the rear caliper plungers will compress one of 2 ways: 1) simple compression or 2) a turn and compress type used on many Audis, Nissans and Hondas.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Brian

So stupid of me ..just look at the new rotors...to see if the cutout in the middle accomodate the hole for the center hub nut....I'll try to use the mallet and bang it around to see if they move....

thanks...

While I am not 100% positive, there is a very easy way to check. I'm assuming since you tried to take off the old rotor you already have a new one. Look at the center hole of the new rotor, if there is no lip for the nut to catch on, it can't be held on by the nut. I would be very surprized if the rotor was held on by a large single nut. Single nut wheel applications are generally reserved for quick change race situations.

Also, don't forget to change pads if you're swapping out rotors.

While I've never done pads on an IS the rear caliper plungers will compress one of 2 ways: 1) simple compression or 2) a turn and compress type used on many Audis, Nissans and Hondas.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Brian